I worked as a banker for 17 years. I love staying fit and cooking tasty and healthy meals. I don't use artificial colors and preservatives.
Indulge in a Heavenly Combination
Rice rotis are very soft and fluffy, and they have a nice aroma. Since they're somewhat bland on their own, it's best to eat them with a spicy curry or chutney. The best companion for rice roti (in my opinion) is eggplant curry, or badane kai ennegai. Making rice roti can be tricky for beginners, but don't worry, you'll be an expert in no time.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Rice Roti Ingredients
- 2 cups white rice flour
- 4 cups water, boiling (amount of water varies with amount of rice)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Boil 4 cups of water and some salt in a wide vessel and add rice flour into it. Let the contents boil for 2–3 minutes uncovered, then stir the mix. There may still be lumps at this point (don't worry). Cover and leave it for 10 minutes.
- During the resting time, the flour should absorb moisture and become soft. Knead the dough constantly until you get a smooth and non-sticky dough. If you need some water for kneading, use only hot water. Finely kneading the dough may take about 10 minutes. Once finished, keep the dough covered for a while.
- Pinch out a big lemon-sized ball of dough. Knead it once again into a ball shape then flatten it and dip it in rice flour. Spread some rice flour on the rolling board and sprinkle some on the patty. Gently roll the dough to get a disc of about 6–7 inches in diameter.
- Heat a flat pan and place the disc on it. Cook until bubbles form on the top, then flip it.
- Let the other side also get a few golden spots, then hold the disc on a spatula and cook it directly on the flame. In no time, the roti should puff up. Once cooked on both sides, your rice roti is ready to serve.
- Make all the rotis like this and store them in a casserole dish. These rotis remain soft even when they are cold. Serve 2–3 of them on a plate with a spicy eggplant curry or badane kai ennegai. Enjoy eating this heavenly dish!
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on July 25, 2017:
Thanks sir. Par boiling the flour in water and kneading the dough nicely are the two important steps to make proper rice rotis. Otherwise, roti breaks while rolling. Making proper rice roti needs some practice.
Venkatachari M from Hyderabad, India on July 25, 2017:
Very interesting recipe. It's similar to the wheat roti except that the flour is cooked before making the dough with it whereas the wheat flour is made dough directly with raw flour by mixing the water little by little.