How to Make Spicy Paratha (Wheat Flour Flatbread)
Spicy and Delicious Flatbread!
Spicy wheat flour paratha is a healthy and delicious flatbread that is easy to make and requires only a few ingredients. This paratha is particularly nice to have in the wintertime because the spice level will help keep you warm. Serve it hot with thick curd or yogurt.
For the dough:
- 3 cups wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the filling:
- 2 dry red chilies, broken
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida (hing) powder
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
- 3 cloves
- 2 cardamom
- 1 inch ginger, washed, peeled, and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons nigella seeds (kalonji seeds) or sesame seeds, I used sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oil
- oil, as needed
- In a large bowl, add the wheat flour, oil, and salt. Knead it while adding water little by little and make a smooth, firm, and pliable dough.
- Cover the bowl and set it aside for 20 minutes.
- Heat a deep-bottomed pan. Add broken chilies, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, cumin seeds, and asafoetida. Saute for a few seconds or until you get a nice aroma from the roasted spices. Turn off the heat. Add the spices to a blender.
- When the spices have cooled, grind to get a smooth powder.
- Heat the same pan and add the oil. Add chopped ginger and sesame seeds (or nigella seeds). Saute until the seeds become a little bit roasted. Turn off the heat.
- Add spice powder and salt. Mix well. This mixture makes the stuffing for parathas.
- For making parathas, knead the dough once again. Divide the dough into many lemon-sized portions.
- Take a portion of the dough and make a patty out of it. Roll the patty to get a 3-inch disc. Spread 1/2 teaspoon stuffing mixture on it. Fold it to half and again fold it to get a triangle.
- Roll it while dusting with wheat flour to get a moderately thin and big triangular disc.
- Roast this disc on a hot pan while adding some oil on both the sides.
- Prepare the remaining parathas in the same way.
- Serve hot with thick curd or yogurt. You can also serve them with a mildly spicy curry. Enjoy!
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||27|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 3 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 16 g||5%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 4 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|