Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home.
What Are Muthiyas?
Muthiyas are steamed dumplings that are a popular Gujarati dish. There are many types of muthiyas that incorporate various vegetables and leafy greens. Whatever their filling, they make a healthy and satisfying breakfast, lunch, or evening snack.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 3 heaped cups spinach (palak), washed and chopped
- 1 cup fenugreek leaves, washed and chopped
- salt, to taste
- 1/2 inch ginger, finely crushed
- 2 green chilies, finely crushed
- 2 tablespoons wheat flour
- 4 tablespoons gram flour (besan)
- 1 tablespoon fine wheat semolina
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 pinches baking soda, or fruit salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder (optional)
For the tempering:
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 8 curry leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon hing (asafetida)
- Wash leafy veggies 2-3 times. Pat dry the fenugreek leaves. Chop them. Add some salt and leave for 5 minutes. Squeeze the water.
- Take the leafy veggies in a mixing bowl. Add crushed ginger, green chili, wheat flour, gram flour, wheat semolina, cumin seeds, baking soda or fruit salt, turmeric powder, sugar, a teaspoon oil, and some salt. Knead together to get a soft dough.
- Apply some oil on your fingers and divide the dough into many lemon-sized portions. Give them an elongated shape.
- Arrange them on a greased sieve. Steam cook for 20 minutes in a steamer or pressure cooker without weight. Once cooked, take out the sieve. Allow it to cool. Cut them into your desired size and shape when still warm.
- For the tempering, heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a wok or deep-bottomed pan. Throw in the mustard seeds and sesame seeds. Let them crackle. Add hing (asafetida powder) and curry leaves. Saute for a few seconds. Add chopped dumplings. Mix well.
- Serve the dumplings hot with spicy green chutney. Enjoy!
Some Important Tips
- For the best flavor, eat muthiyas when they are hot and freshly steamed.
- When they become cold, they will harden slightly. This is mainly because of the flour used in the dish. Also, it is a steamed food.
- Before eating leftover muthiyas, be sure to reheat them.