I like to cook and eat natural, healthy, and tasty foods, and I enjoy sharing recipes from my native Indian cuisine.
Delightful and Healthy Spinach Poori
Poori is a very popular breakfast dish in India. It is unleavened deep-fried bread that can be eaten for breakfast, a snack, or a light meal. It is served with a delicious curry on the side.
Spinach poori is a special type of poori that is made with spinach puree and other herbs. Spinach is low in fat and cholesterol. It is a good source of vitamins, fiber, iron, calcium, protein, and minerals. In other words, it has all the nutrients that are beneficial for the entire body.
Wheat flour has many health benefits, as well. It has iron, calcium, dietary fiber, folic acid, zinc, copper, and vitamins B1, B2, B3, and E. It may also help to prevent constipation and lower cholesterol.
Read More From Delishably
Making this dish is very easy. Serve it with a savory side dish or curry. This is truly delightful food to relish.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves four people
- 3 cups wheat flour
- 3/4 cup spinach, blanched and pureed
- 1/4 inch ginger, chopped
- 1 to 2 green chilis, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ghee or butter (optional, or you can use oil)
- 1 tablespoon oil, for making the dough
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- oil for deep-frying
- Wash spinach and then blanch it. Add it to a mixer or blender. Add green chilies and ginger.
- Grind together to get a smooth puree. Set aside.
- Add wheat flour to a large bowl. Throw in cumin seeds. Add spinach puree, salt, and oil. Mix them.
- Knead, adding water little by little to get a smooth and firm dough. Cover the dough. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Divide the dough into many small lemon-sized balls. Roll each of them into discs that are about 2 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Deep-fry them one by one in hot oil. Remove and place them on an absorbent paper towel.
- Serve with a spicy chutney or a savory curry. Enjoy!