I am a chef on a luxury world cruise liner. I love to cook and write recipes that are inspired by foods from all over the world.
Sweet and sour sauce is a common condiment or component in Chinese cuisine. It is typically used as a dip or as the main sauce in a dish. The sweetness of the sauce usually comes from sugar, although some recipes call for honey or fruit syrup, like pineapple. The sourness of the sauce comes from vinegar. Follow my easy-to-make recipe for making sweet and sour sauce at home.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium bowl
- 4 small bowls
- 1 small plate
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- sauce pot
- Dilute the cornstarch in a small amount of water. Set aside.
- Put all of the ingredients, except the vinegar, in a pot. Stir the mixture until the sugar has totally dissolved.
- Add vinegar. Allow it to simmer.
- Stir in the cornstarch. Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Serve as a dip for fried food or as a sauce for a dish.
Tips and Techniques
- Serve the sweet and sour sauce in any dish you prefer, whether it's a fried or saucy dish.
- Check the saltiness level of your soy sauce, as some brands offer low-sodium versions.
- Adjust the amount of vinegar, as different brands offer different levels of sourness.
- Do not cook the vinegar in an aluminum pot. Aluminum reacts with acid, which causes metal particles to mix into the food.
- I enjoy sweet and sour sauce with my Chinese-style fried cream dory and rice.
Another Tasty Sauce Recipe
- How to Make Sweet and Spicy Fish Ball Sauce
What's the perfect sauce for fish balls? Sweet and spicy fish ball sauce, of course! This recipe is both delicious and easy to make at home.
© 2018 Travel Chef
Travel Chef (author) from Manila on November 09, 2018:
I love making my own sauces when cooking a dish. It allows me to freely adjust the ingredients that I'm going to use. Anyway, let me know if you liked the recipe! Have a wonderful day.
Sp Greaney from Ireland on November 09, 2018:
Never knew it was as simple as this to make this sauce. I'm totally going to have to have a go at making it.
Travel Chef (author) from Manila on November 08, 2018:
Sweet and sour pork is one of my favorite Chinese pork recipes. I love the combination of taste. Also, the dish texture of the pork and all the vegetables that come with it.
Liz Westwood from UK on November 08, 2018:
Sweet and sour pork is on the menu for us today. This looks like an easy recipe.
Travel Chef (author) from Manila on November 07, 2018:
It's absolutely delicious. You can use it in any food you eat.
Louise Powles from Norfolk, England on November 07, 2018:
Sounds lovely, thankyou. =)