How to Make Sweet and Sour Sauce: A Chinese-Inspired Sauce
Sweet and sour sauce is a common condiment or component in Chinese cuisine. It is typically used as a dip or as the main sauce in a dish. The sweetness of the sauce usually comes from sugar, although some recipes call for honey or fruit syrup, like pineapple. The sourness of the sauce comes from vinegar. Follow my easy-to-make recipe for making sweet and sour sauce at home.
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium bowl
- 4 small bowls
- 1 small plate
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- sauce pot
- Dilute cornstarch in a small amount of water. Set aside.
- Put all of the ingredients, except the vinegar, inside a pot. Stir the mixture until the sugar has totally dissolved.
- Add vinegar. Allow it to simmer.
- Stir in the cornstarch. Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Serve as a dip for a fried food or as a sauce for a dish.
Tips and Techniques
- Serve the sweet and sour sauce in any dish you prefer, whether it's a fried or saucy dish.
- Know the saltiness level of your soy sauce, as some brands offer low-sodium versions.
- Adjust the amount of vinegar, as different brands offer different levels of sourness.
- Do not cook vinegar in an aluminum pot. Aluminum reacts with acid, which causes metal particles to mix into the food.
- I enjoy sweet and sour sauce with my Chinese-style fried cream dory and rice.
Questions & Answers
© 2018 Dred Cuan