How to Make Tofu Bhurji: An Indian-Inspired Dish
Tofu bhurji, also known as tofu scramble, is a tofu dish from India that is flavored with various local spices. In some parts of India, paneer (a curd-like cheese) is used as an alternative to tofu. The only difference between the two versions is that the former has a higher calorie and fat content than the latter.
I was inspired to create this recipe after spending a couple of months touring India, the Middle East, and the surrounding regions. I ran out of eggs, so I decided to used tofu to replace them. I added corn kernels for a sweeter taste and peas for additional texture. Then I flavored the dish with various spices. Let me teach you how to make my version of tofu bhurji.
- 200 grams tofu, broken into pieces
- 1/8 cup corn
- 1/8 cup peas
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- tomato, for a side dish (optional)
- spring onion, for garnish
- cooking oil
- 1 medium bowl
- 4 small bowls
- 1 medium plate
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- chopping board
- frying pan
- Heat oil and butter in a frying pan.
- Add tofu pieces. Continue breaking the tofu into pieces until a scrambled-egg texture is achieved. Cook until they're a bit brown.
- Mix in the peas, corn kernels, and all spices.
- Adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Garnish with spring onions and/or serve with tomato.
Tips and Techniques
- Increase the amount of chili powder for a spicier version of this recipe.
- Replace the corn and peas with other vegetables, if preferred.
- Feel free to add other spices.
- Omit the butter to make the recipe vegan-friendly.
More Delectable Tofu Recipes
- How to Make Fried Tofu With Mung Bean Sprouts
I always look forward to simple yet nutritious meals. Allow me to share my recipe for fried tofu with mung bean sprouts, an Asian-inspired dish that you can easily make at home.
- How to Make Tahu Goreng With Homemade Spicy Soy-Vinegar Dip
Learn a very simple recipe to enjoy tofu. Fried tofu can be eaten as is or mixed with any meat or vegetable. Tahu goreng can also be served with any dip or sauce, as preferred.
© 2018 Travel Chef