How to Make Dumplings With Sardines in Tomato Sauce
Dumplings are dough wrappers that are filled with meat, fish, seafood, fruits, or vegetables. They can be baked, boiled, fried, or steamed. There are many variations of dumplings around the world.
I made a deliciously simple recipe of dumplings using canned sardines in tomato sauce. Tomatoes are rich in healthy lycopene, and sardines are a very healthy fish because they contain less mercury relative to other types of seafood.
Let's look at my recipe for sardine and tomato sauce dumplings.
- 1 can sardines in tomato sauce
- 1/4 cups carrots, minced
- 3 tablespoons mushrooms, minced
- 2 tablespoons onion, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 egg, beaten
- water, for sealing
- cooking oil, for frying
- 1 medium bowl
- 4 small bowls
- 2 small plates
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- chopping board
For Cooking Steamed Dumplings:
- regular steamer or rice cooker with steamer
For Cooking Fried Dumplings:
- frying pan
- Mash sardines in a bowl.
- Add all the other ingredients to the bowl. Mix well. Set aside.
- Lay a dumpling wrapper in your hand.
- Scoop 1 tablespoon of the sardines mixture into the wrapper.
- Wet each side with water. Seal it.
- Repeat the process for the remaining mixture.
- Once done, heat a sufficient amount of oil. Deep-fry all the dumplings.
- Cook dumplings until golden brown in color.
- Serve with your favorite dip.
Tips and Techniques
- Shape the dumplings any way you want.
- Serve dumplings with your favorite sauce. You can try my spicy soy-vinegar dip or sweet and sour sauce.
- Use any type of sardines you want.
- Use powdered garlic or onion if fresh is not available.
- Cook a small amount of the dumpling mixture before wrapping it in order to achieve the right taste.
- You can either fry or steam the dumplings.
Questions & Answers
© 2018 Travel Chef