How to Make Dumplings With Sardines in Tomato Sauce
Dumplings are dough wrappers that are filled with meat, fish, seafood, fruits, or vegetables. They can be baked, boiled, fried, or steamed. There are many variations of dumplings around the world.
I made a deliciously simple recipe of dumplings using canned sardines in tomato sauce. Tomatoes are rich in healthy lycopene, and sardines are a very healthy fish because they contain less mercury relative to other types of seafood.
Let's look at my recipe for sardine and tomato sauce dumplings.
- 15 dumpling wrappers
- 1 can sardines in tomato sauce
- 1/4 cups carrots, minced
- 3 tablespoons mushrooms, minced
- 2 tablespoons onion, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 egg, beaten
- water, for sealing
- cooking oil, for frying
- 1 medium bowl
- 4 small bowls
- 2 small plates
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- chopping board
For Cooking Steamed Dumplings:
- regular steamer or rice cooker with steamer
For Cooking Fried Dumplings:
- frying pan
- In a bowl, mash the sardines and add the beaten egg.
- Add all the other ingredients to the bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- Separate the dumpling wrappers.
- Lay a dumpling wrapper in your hand.
- Scoop 1 tablespoon of the sardine mixture into the wrapper. Fold the sides of the wrapper to seal.
- Fill, fold, and seal the remaining dumplings.
- Once you've finished wrapping, heat a good amount of oil in a pan. Deep-fry all the dumplings until they are golden brown.
- Serve with your favorite dip.
Step-by-Step Procedure: Dumplings with Sardines in Tomato Sauce
Tips and Techniques
- Shape the dumplings any way you want.
- Store prepared dumplings in a container in the freezer for future cooking.
- Serve dumplings with your favorite sauce. You can try my spicy soy-vinegar dip or sweet and sour sauce.
- Choose any type of sardines you want.
- If fresh garlic or onion is not available, you may substitute with powdered garlic or onion.
- Cook a small amount of the dumpling mixture before wrapping it in order to achieve the right taste.
- You can either fry or steam the dumplings.
- Add a small amount of vinegar or lemon juice to balance the taste of the sardines.
© 2018 Travel Chef