My husband and I love exploring new places. Currently, we reside in Utah. Someday, we would like to travel all across the United States.
What Is Acar?
Acar is one of many classic Malay dishes that is commonly served during a wedding ceremony or a traditional feast. I remember when I was a kid, my mother took me to a wedding, and one of the many dishes that was served there was this one. Acar is a vegetable pickle that consists of freshly sliced vegetables and fruits that are prepared in a mixture of vinegar and sugar. The most common vegetable and fruit used in this dish is cucumber and pineapple, but it can also be prepared using other ingredients, according to taste.
Common Southeastern Asia Dish
Acar is a common dish in Southeast Asian countries such as Malaysia, Indonesia, Brunei, and Singapore. It also has a slight similarity with a Thai dish called green papaya salad due to the sweet, tangy, and sour flavors.
This dish is usually prepared fresh and served immediately with other main dishes. I love the combination of fresh vegetables and fruits. If you prefer a little bit of spice, like me, you are welcome to add a bird's eye chili to it, as well.
The best part of acar is that it calls for very simple ingredients that you can easily find at the store. Malay acar is usually made from thinly sliced cucumber, shallot, pineapple, and red chili, which is then marinated in a sweet and sour solution of sugar and vinegar.
Read More From Delishably
It is used as a condiment to accompany main dishes such as ayam masak merah and nasi minyak. You can store leftover acar in a well-sealed glass jar in the refrigerator for up to a week, and then you can serve it as a condiment for any meal.
By the way, this is one of the easiest recipes I have made. I hope you will enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
- 1 cup pineapple, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mango, thinly sliced
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 bird's eye chilies, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish
- In a medium bowl, combine the pineapple, mango, and cucumber. Use a spoon to mix until well combined.
- Add the chopped shallots and bird's eyes chilies into the mixture.
- Add the apple cider vinegar and sugar into the mixture. Use the spoon to mix until well combined. At this point, you can customize the acar to your preferences.
- Lastly, add the chopped cilantro.
- Place the acar into a serving dish and serve immediately.
© 2019 Liza