I am a chef on a luxury world cruise liner. I love to cook and write recipes that are inspired by foods from all over the world.
Pastillas are a famous Filipino sweet milk-based treat. Traditionally, the recipe calls for fresh milk, but nowadays powdered milk is commonly used.
Pastillas come in many different flavors. In this recipe, I used ube condensed milk in order to achieve ube-flavored pastillas. Ube, or purple yam, is a common Southeast Asian root vegetable that is frequently added to Filipino desserts.
|Prep time||Ready in||Yields|
Approx. 27 pastillas
- 1 1/4 cups powdered milk
- 1/4 cup ube condensed milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- oil, for greasing
- measuring cups
- 2 medium bowls
- 1 small bowl
- plate or container
- In a bowl, mix powdered milk and ube condensed milk until well blended.
- Start molding pastillas using a chocolate molder.
- Oil the palms of your hands, as well as the chocolate molder, to easily mold the pastillas mixture.
- Fill each cavity of the molder with the pastillas mixture. Let them sit for a couple of minutes to hold their shape. Then release them from the molder.
- Coat the ube pastillas with white sugar. Arrange them on a plate.
Tips and Techniques
- Any brand of powdered milk will work well for this recipe.
- If you can't find ube condensed milk, make your own by combining plain condensed milk, ube flavoring, and purple food coloring.
- The texture of condensed milk may either be thin or thick, so you may need to make adjustments in order to ensure that your mixture has the proper (non-sticky) consistency.
- If you do not have a chocolate molder, use a 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon to achieve the right measurement. Roll the mixture into balls using your hands.
- When handling the pastillas mixture, apply oil to your hands and to the molder in order to prevent sticking.
- Store pastillas in an airtight container or wrap them with foil or plastic wrap.
Ube Pastillas Video Tutorial
More Pastillas Recipes
- How to Make Oreo Pastillas
Pastillas are a popular Filipino sweet treat. Nowadays, there are many different variations of pastillas; this particular version is flavored with Oreo cookies.
- How to Make Chocolate Pastillas
Pastillas are a popular Filipino milk-based treat. In this recipe, I've made a delicious chocolate version of this tasty treat, which I call chocolate pastillas.
© 2019 Travel Chef
Travel Chef (author) from Manila on November 13, 2019:
This is really my favorite.
Pamela Oglesby from Sunny Florida on November 13, 2019:
I never heard of this desert but it looks and sounds good. Thanks for a new idea.