Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home without using preservatives or artificial colors.
White Lentils Are Packed With Protein
Urad dal, or white lentils, are one of the richest sources of vitamin B and protein. They contain protein, fat, and carbohydrates that the body needs. They are considered good for women because they contain iron, folic acid, magnesium, and potassium. Urad dal dishes are smooth and aromatic. Now, onto the recipe!
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 1 heaped cup white lentils/urad dal, washed and soaked in fresh water for 6 hours or overnight
- 1 cup cream of wheat or fine semolina
- 1/2 cup fresh coconut, chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 3 tsp ginger, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt, or as per taste
- Wash your urad dal, then soak them in fresh water for 6 hours or overnight.
- Strain the urad dal. Don't waste the soaked water. Grind the soaked lentils with enough leftover water to get a smooth batter. Add salt and et aside for three hours (you can make the pancakes straight away, but setting aside the urad dal batter for 2–3 hours will result in softer pancakes).
- When you're ready to make the pancakes, add the fine semolina (sooji), chopped coconut, finely chopped ginger, green chilies, and finely chopped coriander leaves to the batter and mix well.
- You can start making the pancakes in about ten minutes. By this time, the batter will have set properly along with the semolina and the spices.
- Check that your batter has a moderately thick consistency. Adjust the consistency by adding water.
- Heat a griddle or flat pan and grease it with oil or ghee. Pour a ladle full of this batter on the center and spread it just a little.
- These pancakes should be moderately thick. Refer to the images in this article to ensure yours are the right thickness.
- Add a few drops of ghee or oil on the surface and cover the pan with a lid. Flip the pancake once the bottom turns golden-brown.
- Add a few drops of oil or ghee to the top side. No need to cover the pan. Let the other side get golden-brown.
- Remove the pancake with a spatula and place it on a serving plate.
- Repeat these steps to make additional pancakes. Serve 2 protein pancakes on a plate with coconut chutney or green chutney.
- These pancakes are very delicious and have a lovely aroma of white lentils. The coconut chunks in the pancakes are truly awesome to chew and complement the consistency very well. Enjoy!