How to Make Vegetarian Lumpiang Togue: A Filipino-Inspired Snack
Lumpiang togue is a Filipino variation of spring rolls that is made with mung bean sprouts, or togue. This popular snack is usually served with a spicy vinegar dip and eaten alongside pancit, or rice noodles.
Common ingredients used in lumpiang togue are togue, carrots, kamote (sweet potato), green beans, and cabbage. Vendors in different places, however, each make their own version.
In my recipe, I used only what I happened to have in my refrigerator. I added tofu to give a meaty taste and texture. Let me share with you my whole recipe. I hope you enjoy it!
- 100 grams mung bean sprouts
- 100 grams tofu, cubed
- 1 cup carrot, julienned
- 1/8 cup water
- 1 tablespoon onion, julienned
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 pieces spring roll wrapper
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Cooking oil
- Small amount of water with cornstarch, to seal the rolls
- 1 large bowl
- 2 medium bowls
- 2 small bowls
- chopping board
- measuring spoons
- saute pan
- frying pan
- cooking spoon
- Heat frying pan with generous amount of oil. Fry the tofu. Set aside.
- In a separate pan, saute onion and garlic. Add carrot.
- Once the carrot is halfway cooked, add water and mung bean sprouts.
- Immediately season with salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly. Allow it to cook for at least 1 minute.
- Mix in the fried tofu. Cook for another minute.
- Turn off the heat. Strain the vegetable mixture.
- After all liquids are drained, start to assemble the spring rolls.
- Lay one spring roll wrapper on a plate.
- Use 1/3 measuring cup to fill each wrapper evenly.
- Arrange the vegetable mixture at the bottom of the wrapper. Leave at least a one-inch allowance at the bottom and both sides.
- Start folding at the bottom. Then roll once. After that, fold both sides of the wrapper. Then roll up to the top leaving 1-inch unrolled wrapper.
- Apply the water and cornstarch mixture to seal the spring roll.
- Repeat steps 8 to 12 until all rolls are assembled.
- Heat the frying pan again with oil. Cook lumpia until golden brown.
- Serve with sauce.
Tips and Techniques
The Finished Dish
Questions & Answers
© 2018 Dred Cuan