How to Make Water Spinach With Shrimp Paste (Chinese Recipe)
Water spinach is a common green vegetable in China and other subtropical regions. This aquatic plant has tender leaves and shoots, which makes it easy to cook. I prefer to top mine with homemade crispy fried garlic bits. You can enjoy this simple Chinese dish without spending too much.
- 100 grams kangkong
- 2 tablespoons garlic, fried
- 1 tablespoon shrimp paste
- water (for blanching)
For Preparing the Ingredients:
- 1 medium bowl
- 2 small bowls
- Measuring spoons
For Cooking the Dish:
- Slotted spoon
- Bring water to a boil.
- Prepare a cold water bath in a bowl. Set aside.
- Cook the water spinach until tender.
- Drain the spinach and soak it in the prepared blanching water.
- Sprinkle the toasted garlic on top.
- Serve with shrimp paste on the side.
Tips and Techniques
- Prepare a bowl of water filled with ice cubes whenever you're blanching vegetables.
- This ice bath method helps stop the cooking process to avoid overcooking.
- Season the boiling water with salt, if preferred, to make the water spinach tasty on its own.
- Choose any type of shrimp paste available—ordinary, sweet, or spicy.
Another Delicious Water Spinach Recipe
- Water Spinach With Toasted Sesame Seeds in Oyster Sauce
Discover how easy it is to make a healthy side dish with water spinach. This dish is absolutely affordable, and it's ready to eat in less than 10 minutes.
© 2018 Travel Chef