How to Make Vegetable and Vermicelli Upma (Tarakari Uppittu)
A Wholesome Dish for Breakfast or the Lunchbox
Making vermicelli and vegetable upma is easy. You need only basic ingredients, and it only takes about 35 minutes to make this breakfast for four people.
You have to roast the vermicelli before cooking it with the vegetables. Otherwise, the upma will become mushy. I used carrots, onions, french beans, green peas, capsicum, tomato, etc. in this recipe, but you can feel free to substitute other vegetables if you prefer. Adding lemon juice, grated coconut, and chopped coriander leaves gives a nice flavor to this upma. Enjoy the detailed recipe below.
- 2 cups wheat vermicelli, broken
- 1/2 cup beans and carrots, cut lengthwise
- 1/4 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup capsicum, diced
- 1/4 cup tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/6 cup green peas or hyacinth beans (optional)
- 4 green chilies, slit
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 1/4 cup peanuts
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 8 curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt, or to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (optional)
- Heat the oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Add the mustard seeds and let them splutter. Add the peanuts and sauté on a low fire until they are crisp. Add the curry leaves and mix well. Collect the peanuts and curry leaves on a plate and keep it aside.
- In the same pan, add the vermicelli and sauté until they become crispy and golden-brown. This may take about 4–5 minutes on a low fire. Collect it on a plate and keep aside.
- In the same pan, add some more oil. Heat the pan and throw in the chopped onions. Sauté till they are golden.
- Add all of the other chopped vegetables and some salt. This will make the cooking go faster. Stir-cook them for 3–4 minutes then add turmeric powder and mix well.
- Pour in 4 glasses of water. Stir once and let the mix boil for 2–3 minutes. Add the roasted vermicelli. Keep the flame low and mix well. Cover the pan, but open it to stir the mix occasionally.
- After 5–6 minutes, the vermicelli and the veggie should be cooked and dry. Add the lemon juice, roasted peanuts, grated coconut, remaining salt, sugar, and chopped coriander leaves.
- Mix well and turn off the fire after 30 seconds. Your vermicelli and vegetable upma is ready!
- Transfer it to a serving dish and eat it hot. Enjoy!
Photo TutorialClick thumbnail to view full-size
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||27|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 3 g||5%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 32 g||11%|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 4 g||16%|
|Protein 7 g||14%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 116 mg||5%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|