Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home.
A Mouthwatering Side Dish in 12 Minutes!
Yellow pumpkin is mildly sweet and very healthy. It is rich in vitamin C and dietary fiber. Once it is cooked, it has a smooth and creamy texture.
In this light and soothing raita side dish, we combine cooked and mashed yellow pumpkin with yogurt. The dish will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 24 hours. It should stay refrigerated as frequently as possible.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 1 heaped bowl yellow pumpkin, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- 2 cups yogurt or thick curd
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds, 1/2 teaspoon for the masala, 1/2 teaspoon for the tempering
- 6 curry leaves
- 2 pinches hing (asafetida powder)
- 1 teaspoon chopped coriander leaves, for garnishing
- 2 green chilies
For the tempering:
- 1/2 teaspoon white lentils
- 1 teaspoon ghee or oil
- salt to taste
- Cut the yellow pumpkin. Remove the seeds and skin. Chop the flesh into small cubes.
- Boil the pumpkin until soft, using just enough water. They cook fast. Cooking them may take about 5 minutes in a pressure cooker. Mash them. Collect the pulp in a large mixing bowl.
- In the meanwhile, add the grated coconut, mustard seeds, and green chilies to a mixer or grinder. Gradually add water and grind to get a smooth paste. Transfer it to the bowl containing mashed pumpkin.
- Add the yogurt and salt. Mix well.
- Make the tempering: Heat ghee or oil in a small pan. Add the remaining mustard seeds, white lentils, curry leaves, and a broken dry red chili. Saute until mustard splutters. Add hing (asafetida powder). Turn off the stove. Add the tempering to the raita.
- Garnish it with finely chopped coriander leaves. Serve yellow pumpkin raita with plain rice, parathas, flatbreads, etc. Enjoy!
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on October 12, 2017:
Thanks for your encouraging comments. I am satisfied that my recipe is helping others. These dishes I regularly make at home. I wish you try a few of them!
peachy from Home Sweet Home on October 12, 2017:
I love your step by step photos, very helpful and easy to follow