Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home without using preservatives and artificial colors.
A Healthy and Filling Breakfast Without Planning!
I have seen many people make semolina upma or porridge when they are in a hurry. It doesn't mean that upma isn't good. On the contrary, it is a versatile dish, and everyone loves it. Making this spicy semolina porridge is fun because of the many ways to prepare it.
This is an easy and simple recipe that can be made with few ingredients. To be truthful, upma is a beginner cook's dish. If you want to make it special, you may add a few extra ingredients. I added fresh hyacinth beans to make it healthier. You can even add fresh green peas to make a nutty upma.
The consistency of upma should either be a bit thick and firm or semi-solid like a porridge. It is an individual preference. If you want a porridge consistency, you need to add more water while boiling the semolina.
Read More From Delishably
Serve the hot upma garnished with finely chopped coriander leaves and chips on the side.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves four people
- 1 bowl medium semolina
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup onions, finely chopped
- 2 pinches asafoetida/hing powder (optional; it adds a good flavor)
- 1/2 teaspoon white lentil or urad dal
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 8 curry leaves
- 4 to 5 green chilies, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon or less sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons ghee and oil mix (1 tablespoon ghee and 2 tablespoons oil)
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup green peas or beans, boiled
- 1/2 cup coconut, grated
- salt to taste
- Heat half of the ghee-oil mixture in a deep bottomed pan. Throw in mustard seeds, white lentils, and curry leaves.
- Saute until mustard splutters. Add asafoetida powder. Mix well.
- Add semolina. Continue sauteing on a low fire until you smell the nice aroma of the semolina. This may take about 5 or 6 minutes. Transfer it to a steel plate.
- Add the remaining ghee-oil mixture to the same pan. Throw in chopped onions and green chilies. Saute until they become translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Stir-cook until they become soft, not mushy. Throw in cooked beans or green peas.
- Add about 6 cups of water. Let it boil with the other contents. Add salt and sugar. Lower the heat. Gently slide in the roasted semolina mixture. Give a quick stir to ensure there are no lumps.
- Cover the pan and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring at intervals. Add some chopped coriander leaves, lemon juice, and grated coconut. Mix well. Turn off the stove.
- The hot semolina bean upma is ready to serve. Serve it hot, garnished with a few chopped coriander leaves. Enjoy the taste!