Growing up in a Greek family gave me all the tools I need to re-create some treats from the Mediterranean.
What Are Kourambiethes?
Kourambiethes are traditional Greek shortbread cookies, or biscuits. Beautiful and easy to make, they require only a handful of ingredients that are probably already in your kitchen pantry!
Homemade cookies make a wonderful dessert or snack with a cup of tea or coffee. Whenever I make these treats, I am reminded of the Mediterranean.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar (plus more, for dusting)
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 1/4 cups self-raising flour (plus more, as needed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 175°C or 350°F.
- Cream butter and sugar until combined.
- Add 1 egg yolk, and mix well. Add the 2nd egg yolk, and mix well.
- Little by little, add the flour until the dough can be rolled by hand and is not dry or sticky. Add more flour as necessary until the dough is ready.
- Roll the dough by hand into walnut-sized balls and place on an ungreased tray. Alternatively, the biscuits can be shaped into crescents, if desired.
- Bake until golden brown.
- Sift icing sugar onto greaseproof paper on the bench (kitchen counter). While the cookies are still warm, roll them gently in the icing sugar. Sift more icing sugar on top. Arrange on a serving plate to enjoy!
© 2020 Sunnylisa
Liza from USA on February 04, 2020:
These shortbread cookies look simply delicious. I'm a fan of shortbread cookies. By the way, I'm surprised at the simplicity of making and the ingredients used in this recipe. Thanks for sharing!