Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home.
Crispy Bedmi Pooris
Bedmi pooris are mainly made of whole wheat flour and urad dal paste. While the urad dal imparts a delightful crispiness and a lovely flavor, the black pepper lends a unique taste. Mildly spicy and salty, these pooris are also known by several other names, including urad dal kachori and urad dal poori, among others.
Bedmi pooris are flavorful and tasty on their own, but they can also be served as part of a meal with a side dish of your choice. The usual practice is to serve them with spicy potato curry.
This is a quick and easy snack. I was able to whip up 10 pooris in just 25 minutes.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
10 bedmi pooris
- 1/2 cup urad dal (split black lentil), washed and soaked in water for 2-3 hours
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black peppercorns, roughly crushed
- 2 teaspoons oil, for the dough
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 pinches asafoetida (hing) powder
- oil for deep-frying
- Wash the urad dal and soak it in fresh water for 2–3 hours. Next, drain it completely and add it to a mixer jar. Grind, adding a very small amount of water, to get a near-smooth paste. Transfer the paste to a large mixing bowl.
- Into the same bowl, add wheat flour, crushed black peppercorns, hing powder, oil, and salt. Mix well. Make a firm and smooth dough. There should be no need to add water, but if it's needed, add only a very small amount of water. Cover the dough and set aside for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, divide the dough into many lemon-sized portions. Make patties out of these portions.
- Work with one patty at a time. Dust it in wheat flour and make a 3-inch diameter disc with the help of a rolling pin. Make all discs. These discs should be thick. Spread them on a plate.
- Heat the oil for deep-frying. When the oil becomes medium hot, gently slide 2 or 3 discs into the hot oil.
- Turn the discs occasionally and fry until they become golden brown. When they are done, transfer them to an absorbent paper towel to remove the excess oil.
- Repeat the same process with the remaining discs. Now, urad dal pooris (bedmi pooris) are ready to serve!
- Serve with a side dish of your choice. It's is a common practice to serve these pooris with potato curry. Enjoy!
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on July 24, 2020:
Thanks, Ivana Divac for your lovely comments. Please try this recipe. You will love to eat these urad dal pooris.
Ivana Divac from Serbia on July 23, 2020:
Such a great recipe. I can't wait to try it out. Thanks for sharing!