I like to cook and eat natural, healthy, and tasty foods, and I enjoy sharing recipes from my native Indian cuisine.
Healthy and Tasty!
These tacos have an Indian twist! Instead of using regular taco shells, I used Indian papads, which are crunchy shells made with white lentils. Stuffed with a spicy vegetable filling, these tacos make healthy and yummy snacks or appetizers.
The papads I used are thin, crunchy, and a bit spicy. You can find papads at any Indian grocery store. The crunchy papad taco shell and the spicy stuffing make a very delightful combination. You may find that shaping the papads like tacos is a bit tricky, but with some practice, you'll find that it comes more easily.
You can prepare the taco stuffing ahead of time. Whenever you're ready to make the tacos, roast the papads and fill them with the stuffing. This hassle-free recipe is very convenient, even for beginners.
Let me now share with you the detailed recipe for making these mouthwatering papad tacos.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 8 papads (available at Indian grocery stores)
- 1 cup potatoes, boiled, peeled, and cubed
- 1 cup sweet corn kernels, boiled
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons roasted cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon chat masala
- Boil, peel, and cube the potatoes. Boil the sweet corn kernels.
- In a bowl, add potato cubes, sweet corn, cucumber, onions, tomatoes, coriander leaves, red chili powder, chat masala, roasted cumin seeds, and salt.
- Mix well. Set aside. This mixture makes the stuffing for tacos.
- Heat a flat-bottomed pan. Add a few drops of oil. Place one of the papads on it.
- Gently press it with a spatula, so that it gets roasted on the bottom side. Flip it. Repeat the same to roast the other side.
- Wrap it around a rolling pin as shown in the photo. Remove after a few seconds or when you get the desired shape.
- Prepare all of the shells in the same way. (Note: Once the papads have been roasted, they should be eaten soon; otherwise, they will lose their crispiness.)
- Take one taco shell and fill it with the vegetable stuffing.
- Assemble all of the tacos similarly. Serve immediately and enjoy.
Note: You can try different combinations of veggies and spices to make different fillings.
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on October 26, 2019:
Thanks for the comment. Yeah. Papad tacos are the Indian-inspired tacos. They are undoubtedly palatable snacks. Papdi chat is a different snack and not made with papads.
Halemane Muralikrishna from South India on October 25, 2019:
It is a novelty item. I think it can be a special treat for the festival. It seems that you have good exposure to indigenous and exotic cuisines. Thanks for veg tacos. I think papadi chat is also a varient of this.