Rajan loves cooking dishes from his native Indian cuisine. He enjoys sharing his favourite recipes with his online readers.
Broccoli is an exceptionally healthy vegetable. In the local markets of India, winter is the season when fresh broccoli arrives from the surrounding farms. Here is a delicious and healthy Indian-style cream of broccoli soup that also happens to be naturally vegan and gluten free. Give it a try and share your experience.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Read More From Delishably
- 100 grams broccoli, chopped into small florets, stems cut into small pieces
- 1 tbsp organic cold-pressed groundnut oil (or olive oil)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 cup water, to blend the broccoli, onion and garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp sendha namak (rock salt)
- 1/3 cup cashews, soaked in hot water for 1 hour
- 1/2 cup water, to blend the cashews to a fine puree
- 1/2 cup water, or as needed to adjust the consistency
- Heat the oil in a pot. Add the chopped onions and saute for 1 minute. Add the garlic paste and saute until the mixture turns light pink.
- Add the broccoli and water and cover with a lid. Cook until the broccoli softens. Remove and let it cool down.
- Grind the cashews with 1/2 cup water (or as needed) into a fine puree; set aside. Grind the cooked broccoli to a fine puree adding some water, if needed.
- Transfer both the broccoli puree and cashew puree to a pot. Add the salt, black pepper powder and 1/2 cup of water. Stir well and heat on medium heat until it comes to a boil. Adjust the soup consistency by adding a little water if too thick or simmer it a little more if it is too thin.
- Transfer the soup to serving bowls and serve hot.
Indian-Style Cream of Broccoli Soup (Vegan and Gluten Free)
© 2021 Rajan Singh Jolly