Instant Neer Dosa Recipe (Rice Crepes)
Hailing from India, neer dosas are thin, soft, fluffy, and lacy crepes that are prepared with rice or rice flour. They are very quick and easy to make, as they call for just four ingredients. For this recipe, we are using rice flour instead of rice.
Neer dosa is also called water dosa as the batter is water-thin. Serve these dosas with coconut chutney or onion tomato chutney. The recipe video link for the onion tomato chutney is included in the video below. Do try this recipe and share your experience in the comments.
Tips for making great neer dosa:
- The batter should be very thin for it to spread quickly. The desired result is a dosa laced with small holes.
- The pan should be very hot when you pour in the batter.
- Stir the batter well each time before your pour it in the pan.
- These dosas are sticky when hot, so place them without touching one another as you transfer them from the pan. After they've cooled down they will be less sticky, and you will be able to stack them.
- 1 cup rice flour
- 2 1/2 cups (or as needed) water
- 1/2 cup salt
- oil as needed
- Prepare the dosa batter by adding water to the rice flour and stirring until there are no lumps. The batter should be watery, so add as much water as needed.
- Heat a tawa or nonstick pan on medium heat; then brush a little oil all over it.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir the batter well, then pour a ladleful or more in the pan until it covers the entire surface of the pan. Cover with a lid and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the dosa when its edges start to leave the pan surface. Free the dosa all around, then make a triangular fold on the tawa itself. Transfer to a plate.
- Prepare rest of the dosas in the same way. This recipe will make 7-8 neer dosa depending on the size of the pan you are using.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney or onion tomato chutney.