Rajan loves cooking dishes from his native Indian cuisine. He likes to share his favourite recipes with his online readers.
A traditional South Indian breakfast or snack dish, dosas are thin crepe-like pancakes that are typically prepared with a fermented batter of rice and lentils.
The dosa we are preparing today, however, is very different from the traditional dosa in the following ways:
- It is prepared with instant oats
- No lentils are used
- The batter is unfermented
This is a gluten-free, vegan dosa that is prepared with very little oil. It's a healthy and tasty breakfast or snack.
Do try and share your experience.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 1 cup instant whole grain oats
- 1/2 cup water, to soak the oats
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 green chilli
- 1-inch ginger, chopped
- 8-10 kadhi patta (curry leaves)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup water, plus more, as needed, to thin the batter
- Oil, as needed for making the batter
- Put the oats in a bowl and add 1/2 cup water. Stir a few times and cover with a lid. Soak for 15 minutes.
- Transfer the soaked oats and any remaining soaking water to a grinder jar. Add the sliced onion, green chilli, chopped ginger, curry leaves and salt. Grind the mixture to a fine paste.
- Transfer the batter to a bowl. Add about 1/2 cup of water to thin it down to a dosa batter consistency.
- Keep a nonstick tawa on medium heat. Rub a half-cut onion over its surface a few times to clean it.
- Stir the batter a few times and pour about 1 1/2 ladlefuls on the tawa. Spread the batter carefully, moving the ladle in one direction only, as shown in the video.
- Pour a little oil all over the dosa and let it cook until its edges leave the pan,
- Flip the dosa and cook the other side until it also turns a little brown.
- When the dosa has a net-like texture, it is ready. Transfer it to a plate and make the remaining dosas by repeating steps 4 to 7.
- Add more water, if necessary, to thin down the batter. The oats in the batter will tend to thicken.
- Serve with homemade coconut chutney. Recipe video link in the video.
Instant Oats Dosa Recipe (Without Fermentation)
© 2021 Rajan Singh Jolly