Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home without using preservatives or artificial colors.
Healthy and Delicious Tomato Dosa
A dosa is like the Indian version of the crepe. Compared to typical dosas, however, the addition of tomatoes gives the tomato dosa a unique flavor.
Tomatoes are rich in potassium, fiber, vitamin C, folates, and an antioxidant called lycopene which is linked to many health benefits. Adding tomatoes to your diet can help promote cardiovascular health.
This dosa recipe is instant in the sense that it does not require a fermentation step. Also, it's light on your stomach and easily digestible. Enjoy eating this tempting and nutritious dosa with coconut chutney for breakfast or brunch.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2-inch piece ginger, washed, peeled, and chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper powder
- 1/2 cup semolina
- 3/4 cup rice flour
- 1/4 cup wheat flour
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 teaspoons oil, for cooking each dosa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- In a mixer jar, add chopped tomatoes, chopped ginger, cumin, and red chili powder. Make a fine paste. Transfer it to a large mixing bowl.
- Add semolina, rice flour, wheat flour, pepper powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Add water little by little and prepare a thin batter. Throw in chopped coriander leaves. Mix well, cover, and rest the batter for 15 minutes.
- After resting, the batter may become thicker. If so, add water and stir to bring the batter to a flowing consistency. Add finely chopped onions and mix well.
- Heat a griddle or a pan (preferably nonstick). Grease it with oil. Gently smear the batter all over, beginning from the edges to the center. Do not overlap. Cook it over medium heat (see photo).
- Cover the pan. Allow the crepe to become golden brown on the bottom side and cook well on the surface too. Add some oil to the edges and the top. Remove it with a spatula and place it on a serving plate. Similarly, make more dosas with the remaining batter. Stir the batter each time while making a new dosa.
- Serve these instant dosas hot with coconut chutney or green chutney for a delicious and nutritious breakfast or brunch.