Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home.
Jackfruit Is Healthy and Delicious
You can smell the presence of a ripe jackfruit from a distance due to its strong and pleasant aroma. It's big in size and has a prickly, needle-like outer skin. Inside, it has bulb-like pods. In a ripe jackfruit, the pods are fleshy, sweet, and tasty. Each bulb has a moderately big seed inside. People consume the bulb as is—or cook it with other ingredients.
As an interesting side note, unripe jackfruit is considered to be a great vegetarian substitute for meat, as its flavor and texture are similar to meat.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 3 cups ripe jackfruit pieces
- 1 1/2 cups white raw rice or crepe rice, soaked in water for 4 hours
- 3/4 cups coconut, grated
- 1/2 cup jaggery, or to taste, depending on the sweetness of the jackfruit
- 4 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- oil, for deep-frying
- Cut the jackfruit. Remove the bulbs and separate the seeds. Collect the bulb in a bowl, as per measurement.
- Wash the rice. Discard the water. Soak it in fresh water for 4 hours. Drain the water. Set the rice aside.
- Grind rice, jackfruit, grated coconut and jaggery to get a thick, near smooth batter. No need to add water, as the jackfruit and soaked rice will release moisture. The consistency of the batter is such that you should be able to hold it on your fingers while making fritters. Collect the batter in a bowl.
- Add salt and cardamom powder. Mix well. Let the batter rest for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil for deep-frying. Take a small lemon-sized ball of batter and drop it into the medium-hot oil. Fry it over medium-low fire to avoid burning them. Make 10-12 sweet balls at a time, depending on the volume of the oil. Turn them occasionally for uniform color and frying. It takes about 4-5 minutes to get a brownish color. Transfer the cooked balls to an absorbent paper towel. Repeat the procedure for the remaining batter.
- Allow the balls to cool completely before serving. They will keep for up to 2 days at room temperature.
- Jackfruit dessert balls have a brownish color even though they are not burnt. The dark color is due to the jaggery.
- Store the dessert balls in an airtight container in a refrigerator for 5 to 6 days. However, eat them only after they come to room temperature.
- In Kannada, which is the local language in Bangalore, these sweet balls are called mulka.