Rajan loves cooking dishes from his native Indian cuisine. He enjoys sharing his favourite recipes with his online readers.
Kakora, also called spiny gourd or sweet melon, is a very healthy vegetable.
Try my simple recipe to make this Indian-style kakode ki sabji (spiny gourd curry) and share your experience.
Read More From Delishably
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 500 grams kakode (spiny gourd), washed, ends chopped off and cut into round slices (small kakode are preferable)
- 3 tbsp kachi ghani sarson ka tel (cold-pressed mustard oil)
- 1 tsp jeera (cumin seeds)
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp haldi (turmeric powder)
- 2 tsp dhania (coriander powder)
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp deghi mirch (red chilli powder)
- 1 tsp saunf (fennel seeds)
- 1 tsp amchur (mango powder)
- 1 cup dahi (yoghurt)
- Keep a pan on low-medium heat and add the oil. Let the oil heat up.
- Add the jeera and let it crackle. Then add the sliced onions and saute until they turn light pink.
- Add the kakode slices and stir a few times. Add the salt, dhania powder, deghi mirch powder, haldi powder, garam masala and saunf. Mix well and cover with a lid. Reduce heat to low and cook until the kakoda turns soft. Check and stir a few times while it is cooking. Check for taste and add salt if needed.
- Add in the dahi and amchur powder. Mix well. Keep stirring and cooking on low heat until the water in the dahi dries up and the dahi coats the kakode slices nicely.
- Serve and enjoy.
© 2022 Rajan Singh Jolly