How to Make Dabeli: A Popular Gujarati Street Food Snack
Sweet and Salty Snack
Dabeli is a popular sweet and salty snack from the Kutch region of Gujarat state of India. It is also known as Kutchi dabeli, kacchi dabeli, and double roti. The buns used in this recipe are Indian-style whole wheat flour buns, which are plain and unsweetened.
Do give this snack a try and share your feedback in the comments below!
- 2 to 3 teaspoons oil
- 10 to 12 pao/pav/indian buns
- 8 medium potatoes, boiled, peeled, and mashed
- imli (tamarind chutney), to taste
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 to 4 teaspoons dabeli masala
- 3 to 4 teaspoons salted or masala peanuts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons anar ke dane (pomegrate pearls), since we did not have pomegranate pearls we have used tutti frutti instead
- nylon sev, to taste
- salted butter, as needed
- water, as needed
- Put the oil in a non-stick pan and let it heat up on medium heat. Once the oil is hot, reduce the heat to low and add the dabeli masala. Mash the masala well since this is a wet type of masala. When it is soft, stir-cook for 1 minute.
- Add the mashed potatoes and half the peanuts and mix well. Add the salt and mix again. Add a little water and the sugar and mix until all the ingredients are well combined. Add more water if needed to facilitate proper mixing.
- Once the mixture is uniformly combined, transfer it to a plate and spread it evenly.
- Spread a layer on the chopped onions on the spread potato mixture. Then add some pomegranate pearls or tutti frutti and some peanuts.
- Assemble the dabeli: Make a cut in the middle of a bun from one side about 3/4 the of the way in. Apply a layer of tamarind chutney, sprinkle some chopped onions and spread about 1 tablespoon of the potato mixture. Put in some pomegranate pearls or tutti frutti and close the bun. Repeat the process with all the buns.
- When all the buns are ready, toast them. To toast, heat a pan on low heat then put a little butter on it. Place the bun on the butter and toast both sides until golden. Transfer to a plate.
- To serve, roll the bun in the nylon sev to coat both sides. Garnish with a sprinkle of the nylon sev, a little chopped onion. Streak a thick layer of tamarind chutney on the plate.
Dabeli Recipe Video
© 2020 Rajan Singh Jolly