How to Prepare Lady's Finger Curry
Lady's finger, also known as okra, is a healthy vegetable that is rich in antioxidants.
This curry is called bendekayi kayirasa in the Kannada language. Incorporating lady's finger, urad dal, and methi (fenugreek seeds), the curry is very tasty and easy to prepare. Serve with rice for a lovely meal.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoons urad dal
- 1/2 teaspoon methi (fenugreek seeds)
- 4–5 Byadagi red chilies, or to taste
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon hing (asafoetida)
- 1 cup fresh coconut, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 cups lady's finger (okra), washed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon tamarind, soaked in hot water for 10 minutes
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon jaggery
- 1 cup water, or as needed
- Wash and pat dry the lady's finger. Chop and set aside.
- In a pan, heat the oil. Add 1 teaspoon urad dal and methi (fenugreek seeds). Fry till dal turns golden brown. Add Byadagi red chilies and saute for a few seconds. Add curry leaves and 1/4 teaspoon hing. Fry for a few seconds.
- Add grated fresh coconut and turmeric powder, mix well and switch off the flame. Let the mixture cool down.
- In a pan, heat the oil and splutter the mustard seeds. Add 1 teaspoon urad dal and fry till it turns golden brown.
- Add curry leaves and 1/4 teaspoon hing. Mix well.
- Add chopped lady's finger and fry over low flame for 5–7 minutes or till it loses its stickiness completely.
- Add tamarind water, jaggery and salt to taste. Mix well, close the lid and cook well.
- After the roasted mixture cools down, transfer it to a mixer jar. Add water, close the lid and grind to a fine paste.
- Check if the lady's finger is cooked well. If done, add ground paste and water, mix to combine masala with vegetables, add more water if required to adjust the consistency and adjust salt if required, close the lid and let it comes to a boil. Switch off the flame.
- Serve hot with rice and enjoy.
- Wash and pat dry lady's finger to avoid stickiness.
- Cooking lady's finger in tamarind water decreases the stickiness of this veggie.
- Alter the quantity of jaggery as per your desired sweetness.
- Adjust the quantity of red chilies as per your desired spiciness.
- Replace Byadagi red chilies with Guntur red chilies for a spicier curry. Or use both red chilies to get both color and spiciness.