Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home without using preservatives or artificial colors.
Drink Your Greens!
Summer heat demands soothing, cooling foods. This leafy vegetable drink, called tambli, is one such beverage that can also be served as a side dish. Leafy veggies and yogurt are the main ingredients in this drink, and the aroma of sautéed greens and cumin is irresistible.
You can make tambli with any variety of edible greens. Normally, you should choose those varieties that are smooth and soft but not bitter.
Tambli is mildly spicy and very delicious. Drink it with steamed rice at the beginning of your meal. You can also drink it as is, by itself. Either way, it will have a soothing effect on your stomach.
Let's take a look at the recipe.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 1 cup (tightly packed) leafy greens, washed and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon peppercorns
- 3 tablespoons grated coconut
- 1 teaspoon ghee, 1/2 tsp for sauteing, 1/2 tsp for the tempering
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 cups yogurt or curds or buttermilk, medium sour
- 6 curry leaves, for the tempering
- A small piece dry red chili, for the tempering
- Salt to taste
- Water as required
- Heat ghee in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in cumin seeds and peppercorns. Saute until cumin sizzles.
- Add washed leafy greens. Throw in some salt. This will help the greens retain their color.
- Saute over medium-high heat until the greens cook. If needed, add a few drops of water to keep them moist. Turn off the heat. Set aside to cool.
- Next, add the cooked greens to a mixer or blender. Add grated coconut, some curds, and remaining salt. Grind to get a smooth paste.
- Add the paste to a mixing bowl. Add remaining curds and 3-4 cups of water. Adjust the consistency by adding water. Tambli should be medium thick. (If you want to drink it as a beverage, keep it more liquid. To serve as a side dish, keep it a bit thicker.)
- Now it is time to add the tempering: Heat remaining ghee in a small pan. Add mustard seeds. Let them crackle.
- Throw in broken dry red chili and curry leaves. Saute once. Turn off the heat.
- Pour the tempering on the tambli. Mix once.
- Serve tambli with cooked rice—or drink it as a beverage on its own. It is delicious either way!