Shwetha Bhat is passionate about food and cooking. She loves to experiment in the kitchen and share her recipes.
Lotus Seeds Kheer
Lotus seeds, also called fox nuts or makhana, are commonly used in Indian cuisine in both dry and seed form. They are used in many dishes including snacks, desserts, curries, gravies and so on.
The lotus seed is a healthy nut that contains protein, vitamin B and minerals.
Lotus seed kheer, also called payasam, is a tasty and creamy dessert with soft lotus seeds. It is quick and easy to make, and it tastes lovely. It is a traditional festival sweet, but it is perfect for any special occasion, as well.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 1 cup lotus seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron strands (optional)
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar, or as needed
- 1 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 tablespoon almonds, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cashews, chopped
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- Add lotus seeds (makhana) to pan. Dry-fry over low flame for 2-3 minutes or till crispy (do not burn the seeds). Once done, switch off the flame.
- In a bowl, add 1/4 cup warm milk and saffron strands. Mix well and set aside.
- After the lotus seeds have cooled, cut each one in half and set aside.
- Pour 1 1/2 cups milk into a pot and bring it to a boil.
- Add sugar, stir and let the sugar dissolve completely.
- Continue boiling the milk over low flame for 5-7 minutes or till the milk thickens.
- After the milk thickens, add the chopped lotus seeds. Mix well and let it come back to a boil. The lotus seeds will shrink and turn soft.
- Add the saffron milk, mix once and switch off the flame.
- In a pan, heat the ghee. Add chopped almonds and cashews. Fry till they turn light brown and crispy..
- Add dry raisins and fry till fluffy. Switch off the flame.
- Add the nuts and raisins to the kheer. Mix well and serve hot or chilled.
Read More From Delishably
- You can replace sugar with jaggery for a healthier kheer.
- Saffron strands are optional.
- Adjust the quantity of sugar as per your taste.
- Full-fat or non-milk can be used to make this kheer.