Shwetha Bhat is passionate about food and cooking. She loves to experiment in the kitchen and share her recipes.
Tasty Snack Made With Lotus Seeds
Lotus seeds, also called makhana or fox nuts, are very healthy; they are a rich source of protein, vitamin B, minerals, antioxidants and micronutrients.
Many different dishes can be prepared with lotus seeds including raita, tikki, curry, snacks, and even desserts.
Lotus seed chiwda is an easy and tasty snack that can be made in a jiffy. It is spicy, crispy and healthy, too.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 1 cup lotus seeds (makhana)
- 1/2 tablespoon clarified butter (ghee) or oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon chopped almonds
- 1 teaspoon chopped cashews
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- salt, to taste
Read More From Delishably
- In a pan, add lotus seeds (makhana) and fry over low flame till they are almost crisp (do not burn). Transfer to a plate.
- In the same pan, heat ghee or oil. Splutter mustard seeds.
- Add chopped almonds and cashews and fry till golden brown and crisp. Add curry leaves and fry for a few seconds.
- Add the lotus seeds back into the pan and fry till crispy. Switch off the flame.
- Add turmeric powder, pepper powder, red chili powder and salt to taste. Mix well to combine the lotus seeds with the spices (use hands or spatula to mix).
- Serve and enjoy!
- You can replace ghee with oil.
- The amount of each spice powder you add can be altered as per your preference.
- Peanuts can also be added.
- I have used chopped cashews and almonds, but you could add whole nuts instead.