I like to cook and eat natural, healthy, and tasty foods, and I enjoy sharing recipes from my native Indian cuisine.
A Mild and Delightful Side Dish
Raita is a yogurt-based side dish that tends to be served alongside spicier dishes such as fried rice, pancakes, or roti. Cabbage is a good source of vitamins, protein, iron, and dietary fiber. It helps to keep your heart healthy, and it may also help lower your blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
This raita is delicious and comes together quickly. I hope you try it and enjoy!
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 1 bowl cabbage, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
- 2 cups yogurt or thick curd, not so sour
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 8 curry leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper powder
- 1/4 teaspoon or more salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves, finely chopped (optional garnish)
- 1 tablespoon ghee or oil
- Heat the ghee or oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in the cumin seeds and curry leaves. Saute until the cumin crackles.
- Add the chopped onions and chopped green chilies. Continue sauteing till the onions become transparent.
- Add the chopped cabbage. Increase the flame a bit, and stir-cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add some salt. Cook the mixture while sprinkling a few drops of water until the cabbage becomes soft yet retains its crunchiness. Turn off the heat.
- Transfer the cooked onion-cabbage mixture to a mixing bowl. Set aside to cool.
- Once cooled, add the yogurt or thick curd, pepper powder, and the remaining salt. Mix well. Garnish with a few finely chopped coriander leaves, if desired.
- Serve as a side dish with fried rice, pancakes, roti, or any other spicy main course dishes. Enjoy!