How to Make Kohlrabi Salad (Navilu Kosu Kosumbari)
A Mildly Sweet and Crunchy Salad
Kohlrabi, also known as navilu kosu, can be eaten raw. This makes it a natural fit for a salad because you can combine it with other veggies, herbs, and spices. This salad incorporates kohlrabi, split green gram (moong dal), coconut, lemon juice, ginger, green chilies, hing, pomegranate, carrot, fresh coriander, and salt.
Most of these ingredients are very nutrient-rich. Kohlrabi is a rich source of vitamins and dietary fiber. Since it is low-calorie, low-fat, and contains zero cholesterol, people consider it to be beneficial for regulating body weight. Moong dal, or split mung beans, are an excellent source of protein and fiber. they contain many nutrients, including manganese, potassium, copper, zinc, magnesium, and many B vitamins.
This salad is mildly spicy and very delicious. Eat 3–4 tablespoons of this any time of the day to boost your health and immunity. Without further ado, here is a detailed recipe for this awesome salad!
- 1 cup kohlrabi (navilu kosu), peeled and diced
- 1 cup split green gram (split mung beans or moong dal)
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 2 tablespoons fresh green coriander, finely chopped
- 2 small green chilies, more mild variety
- 1/4 inch ginger, finely chopped or grated
- 1/4 teaspoon or less asafoetida (hing powder)
- 2 pinches sugar (optional, to balance the taste)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 cup carrot, grated
For the tempering:
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon white lentils (urad dal)
- 1 tablespoon butter or clarified butter or oil
- 6 curry leaves
- 2 pinches turmeric powder
- 1/2 dry red chili, broken (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (optional)
- salt to taste
- Place moong dal in water and add a little salt and turmeric powder. Soak for 2 hours. Strain.
- In a mixing bowl, add the kohlrabi, carrot, coconut, strained moong dal, pomegranate seeds, green chilies, ginger, hing powder, coriander leaves, lemon juice, salt, and optional sugar. Mix gently.
- Now the salad is ready. To make it more delicious, you have to temper it.
- For the tempering, heat 1 tablespoon of butter or oil or ghee in a small pan. Add the mustard seeds to it. Let them crackle. Add the cumin seeds, curry leaves, white lentils, and broken dry red chili. Sauté for 10 seconds. Turn off the heat. Transfer this tempering to the mixing bowl.
- Mix the tempering with the salad.
- Serve 3–4 tablespoons of the salad in a bowl. Enjoy munching this sweet, spicy, crunchy, and nutritious raw salad!
Photo GuideClick thumbnail to view full-size
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||9|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 1 g||2%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 14 g||5%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 6 g||12%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 18 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|