Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home.
Homemade Kalakand (Milk Cake) Recipe
Milk cake, or kalakand, is often made during festivals. Not only is it tasty, but it's really fun to make, too. I love watching the milk turn into tiny granules during the preparation process.
It takes about an hour to make this cake, but the process is easy and the results are worth it.
|Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
12 large servings
- 1 liter milk, thick variety
- 120 grams / 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ghee, for greasing the tray
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon rose essence (optional, gives nice aroma)
- Grease a deep tray or steel bowl with ghee. This is for pouring the hot milk cake. Set aside.
- Mix the lemon juice with the water in a bowl. Set aside.
- Start heating the milk in a deep-bottomed pan, preferably a non-stick pan. Bring it to the boil. Don't add water.
- Stir it often and scrape the sides to remove the milk solids that will begin to deposit on the sides. Continuous stirring is important to prevent burning on the bottom.
- Regulate the heat while boiling and stirring the milk.
- After about 20–25 minutes, the milk should become moderately thick and will reduce to half the original volume. Continue stirring over medium heat.
- Once the quantity reduces to about 1/3, add the lemon juice mixture. Don't stir the mix for 30 seconds.
- After 30 seconds, start stirring once again. You will observe that the milk has turned into granules. After stirring for 5 minutes, add the sugar.
- Continue stirring till the mixture becomes thick and starts leaving the bottom. At this point, transfer it into the greased bowl or tray.
- Make the surface even by gently pressing with a spoon. Cover the bowl with aluminum foil to retain the inside heat. The mixture will continue cooking inside and will darken in color. Set aside for 5 hours or till heat reduces and becomes warm.
- While still warm, draw square lines on the top of the cake, and then cut deeper to make pieces. Take them out one by one.
- Mouthwatering milk cake or kalakand is ready! Eat and relish the taste.
© 2017 ShailaSheshadri