I like to cook and eat natural, healthy, and tasty foods, and I enjoy sharing recipes from my native Indian cuisine.
Make a Healthy Beverage in 15 Minutes!
Moringa leaf beverage is a quick and easy herbal drink that requires only a few ingredients. Not only is it tasty, but it's very nutritious due to its abundant antioxidants and fiber. Nutritionists say that moringa leaves may have the ability to help prevent cholesterol from forming in the body and also may help control diabetes.
Use only tender moringa leaves, as matured leaves tend to be slightly bitter when cooked.
Read More From Delishably
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- Moringa (drumstick) is a seasonal vegetable. Hence, whenever you find moringa leaves, collect them. I suggest this, mainly looking at the abundant nutrients stored in these leaves. They are tasty too.
- Make a thick paste of the sauteed moringa leaves, peppercorn, and salt. Store it in the freezer. Take out whenever you desire, mix it with some yogurt/curd, and water. Consume just as a drink!
- You can even make a spicy chutney out of them.
- 1 heaping bowl of moringa leaves
- 2 tablespoons grated coconut (optional, gives rich flavor)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper corns
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ghee or butter
- 2 cups yogurt or curds (or buttermilk)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Separate the tender moringa leaves from the stems. Discard the stems. Wash the leaves.
- Heat ghee or butter in a deep-bottomed pan. Add the cumin seeds and peppercorns. Saute till the cumin sizzles.
- Throw in the moringa leaves. Saute over low heat for 6-7 minutes or till they become tender and soft. Sprinkle a few drops of water to keep it moist. Turn off the heat and set aside to cool.
- Transfer the cooled moringa leaf mixture into a mixer or grinder. Add grated coconut. Grind together, while gradually adding yogurt, curd, or buttermilk to get a smooth liquid.
- Transfer the mixture into a bowl. Add the remaining yogurt. Throw in the salt and mix well.
- Add water to adjust the consistency. If you want to use it as a side dish, keep it thick. For drinking, make it thin by adding more water. Adjust salt accordingly.
Your moringa leaf drink is ready! Drink it often for good health. It is a soothing herbal beverage.