How to Make Spicy Puffed Rice (Masala Mandakki) Snack
Mouthwatering Masala Mandakki in 5–10 Minutes!
This spicy teatime snack is an all-time favorite for many. It is the ultimate snack for cold nights while watching television or seeing a public performance. In India, we get masala mandakki in the stalls near the open-air music concerts or public theaters. Many village hotels here serve this dish as an evening snack.
You can easily make this dish at home. Make it right before you want to eat it, as it gets soggy fast. However, you can store the masala and puffed rice separately in airtight containers to avoid letting the puffed rice get soggy. Whenever you desire this snack, simply mix the ingredients together and it will be ready to serve in two minutes!
People sometimes use fried or roasted peanuts, tomatoes, or lemon juice along with the other ingredients. However, keeping this snack simple is the beauty of it!
Let me share the recipe for making a simple masala mandakki.
- 1 big bowl puffed rice, it should be crunchy
- 1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil (optional; gives nice taste)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, crushed
- 1 green chili, finely chopped (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- salt to taste
- In a wide mixing bowl, add onions, green chilies, coriander leaves, crushed cumin seeds, grated coconut, red chili powder, and salt. Thoroughly mix.
- Add puffed rice. Mix the ingredients quickly while adding coconut oil. If you don't like the smell of coconut oil, you may simply omit this ingredient.
- Serve it immediately. Enjoy the taste of the crunchy and spicy puffed rice snack (masala mandakki). Relish the taste!
Photo TutorialClick thumbnail to view full-size
© 2017 ShailaSheshadri