I am a chef who loves to cook, write recipes, and grow my own ingredients.
Mango is a popular tropical fruit used to prepare both savory dishes and desserts. This citrusy fruit tastes sour when unripe and sweet when ripe.
Agar-agar is a vegetarian gelatin made with seaweed. In this recipe, it makes a fabulously refreshing dessert called mango agar-agar salad.
For the agar-agar:
- 6 cups water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 25 grams agar-agar powder
For the salad:
- 10 pieces mango, sliced and pitted
- 30 grams powdered milk
For preparing the mangoes:
- chopping board
For preparing the agar-agar:
- 1 large bowl
- 1 medium bowl
- 1 small bowl
- measuring cups
- chopping board
- wire whisk
Read More From Delishably
- jelly molder or any container
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
2 to 4 servings
- Pour the water into a pot. Add sugar and agar-agar powder.
- Bring the mixture to boil. Stir from time to time to ensure that there are no lumps.
- Transfer the mixture to a jelly molder or container. Let it cool a bit before placing it in the fridge to cool further.
- Prepare the mangoes: Keep the skin on and cut the sides of each mango vertically from the stone or pit. Discard the pits.
- Use a knife to make crosswise and lengthwise cuts in the flesh of each side. Be sure not to cut through the peel.
- Remove the flesh using a spoon or a glass. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Prepare the other mangoes similarly; then place the mango fruit in the fridge to chill.
- When the agar-agar mixture has solidified, cut it into cubes that are approximately the same size as the mangoes.
- Add the chilled mango cubes and place the salad back in the fridge to chill before serving.
Tips and Techniques
- Adjust the amount of sugar to make the salad sweeter.
- Use powdered milk to prevent the salad from being too watery.
- Choose evaporated milk or all-purpose cream instead of powdered milk, if the latter is not available.
- Replace agar-agar powder with regular gelatin powder.
More Delicious Sweet Treats
- How to Make Pastimallows (Marshmallow Pastillas de Leche)
Have you ever heard of pastimallows? They are a combination of pastillas and marshmallows. Try this famous milk-based sweet delicacy with a twist that originated in the Philippines.
- How to Cook Maja Blanca With Cheese Topping
Maja blanca is a popular Filipino dessert made with coconut milk and cornstarch. Try this recipe for a maja blanca with a cheese topping.
© 2022 Travel Chef