Rajan loves cooking dishes from his native Indian cuisine. He enjoys sharing his favourite recipes with his online readers.
Oats are a healthy low-carb grain. They are an excellent alternative to either wheat or rice, both of which are low in fibre and high in carbs.
Today we are going to prepare an Indian-style masala oat dish that also incorporates a variety of veggies to make it even healthier. You can use any vegetables of your choice. We will be using steel-cut oats for this recipe as they are the least processed of all oat types and the most healthy.
Serve this dish for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It can be enjoyed by itself or paired with a bowl of fresh homemade dahi (yoghurt) or any chutney. Do try this dish and give your feedback.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
For the oats:
- 1/4 cup steel-cut oats, washed 2-3 times and then soaked in water for 6 hours
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cold-pressed coconut oil or any type of oil
For the veggies:
- 1 teaspoon cold pressed coconut oil/any oil
- 1/4 teaspoon jeera (cumin seeds)
- 1 chopped green chilli
- 3 garlic cloves, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons frozen or boiled green peas
- 2 tablespoons peeled and chopped carrot
- 2 tablespoons chopped bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped green beans
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves)
Read More From Delishably
- Put the oats in a pot along with the water and keep it on medium heat. Add oil, stir it in and let the water come to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cook the oats until they turn soft and the water almost dries up.
- On a side burner keep a pan on low heat. Add the oil and let it melt. Add the jeera and let it crackle.
- Add the ginger, garlic and chopped green chilli. Saute for 1 minute. Raise the heat to medium and add the chopped onion. Saute until it turns light pink. (While the veggies are cooking be sure to check and stir the oats from time to time.)
- Add the green peas, chopped carrot, bell pepper and green beans. Mix until they combine.
- Add in the salt, coriander powder, turmeric powder, garam masala and kasuri methi. Mix well and saute until they are lightly cooked. Ensure the veggies remain crunchy when done.
- Remove the oats from heat when done. Add them to the veggies when they are ready and mix well. Stir-cook for 1 minute and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Serve with plain dahi (yoghurt) or any chutney.
Indian-Style Masala Oats Pulao Recipe
© 2021 Rajan Singh Jolly