Supriya is a homemaker who is passionate about cooking. She loves to share her recipes with the world.
Masala paneer is an Indian dish of marinated paneer (cottage cheese) that is served in a spiced gravy. It is a very popular dish both in Indian homes as well as restaurants. It is always hit with family and guests.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Read More From Delishably
For the gravy:
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, pureed
- 2 green cardamom pods
- 2 cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 inch ginger, chopped
- 4-5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4-5 green chillies, chopped
- 2 teaspoons coriander leaves (cilantro) chopped, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kasturi methi (fenugreek leaves), crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 2 teaspoons chicken masala powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon heavy cream (optional)
For the paneer marinade:
- 250 grams paneer
- 3/4 teaspoon gram masala powder
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon red chilli powder
- Ghee (clarified butter), for frying the marinated paneer
- Prepare the paneer: In a bowl, add the paneer and marinade ingredients. Set aside for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, add the marinated paneer to a pan with ghee (clarified butter) or olive oil. Fry paneer for 1 minute and set aside.
- In a large pan, add the oil and butter.
- Add cumin seeds, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, green chillies, cardamom, and cloves. Saute till the spices turn aromatic.
- Add the chopped onion and fry until it turns golden.
- Add chopped ginger and garlic. Saute well.
- When the ginger and garlic turn golden brown, add chopped coriander leaves and some kasturi methi (fenugreek leaf). Saute well.
- Add the turmeric, red chilli powder, coriander powder, chicken masala, roasted gram flour (chickpea flour), and salt.
- Saute on medium flame till the spices are well cooked.
- Add tomato pulp and saute till it releases oil.
- When the spices start releasing oil, turn the flame on high, add 1 cup of water, and mix continuously
- Add the fried paneer cubes.
- Cover for 2 minutes over low flame till the paneer absorbs the spices.
- Add garam masala powder and crushed kasturi methi (fenugreek leaf).
- Turn off the flame. Garnish with malai and serve with rice or roti (chapati).
© 2020 Supriyasharma