Rajan writes to share his knowledge of health, yoga, pranayama, alternative therapies, natural remedies, food recipes, and more.
Popular in India, poori is a deep-fried bread that is made with unleavened whole wheat flour. Masala poori is the spiced version of this dish. Serve it with mango pickle and a hot cup of tea for breakfast or an anytime snack.
Masala poori also makes a good on-the-go snack for work or travels. In this case, knead the dough with milk instead of water. This will help keep the poori soft and good for two to three days.
Read More From Delishably
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 2 cups atta (whole wheat flour)
- 4 tbsp kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves)
- 1 tbsp hara dhaia (cilantro), chopped
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp jeera (cumin seeds)
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1 to 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil + additional for frying
- water as needed, to make the dough
- In a bowl, add all of the ingredients (except the oil for frying and the water to make the dough). Mix by hand until well mixed.
- Add water little by little and mix until the mixture comes together. Knead the dough, wetting your hands as needed with water, for 4-5 minutes to make it smooth. The dough should not be too stiff or too soft. Cover with a damp cloth and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, wet your fingers with a little water and knead the dough again a few times.
- Heat up the frying oil in a kadahi (wok) on low heat. While it heats up, roll out the pooris.
- Grease the rolling surface with a little oil, grease your fingertips as well, and take a small piece of dough. Roll into a ball, flatten it, and roll it out into a round poori about 4-5 inches in diameter. Roll out all the pooris and set aside.
- When the oil is hot, raise heat to medium-high and drop in 1 poori carefully. Let it fry for a few seconds. Then, with a slotted ladle, keep pressing and rotating the poori until it puffs up. Flip it over and fry until both sides are golden. Transfer to a plate and fry the rest of the pooris.
- Serve the pooris with mango pickle and hot tea.
Video: Masala Poori Recipe
© 2020 Rajan Singh Jolly