Rajan loves cooking dishes from his native Indian cuisine. He likes to share his favourite recipes with his online readers.
Gluten-Free, Vegan Breakfast Porridge
Millet dalia, or millet porridge, is a variation of the usual dalia that is prepared with broken wheat and dairy milk. Today's sweet dalia dish is prepared with browntop millet and coconut milk instead. Also, instead of refined sugar, we are using the much healthier palm jaggery.
This is a gluten-free, vegan porridge is a filling breakfast dish. Do try and share your experience.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
8 hours 15 min
- 1/2 cup browntop millet dalia (broken millet), you can use any siridhanya millet
- 2 cups water, to soak the millet dalia
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 6 tbsp palm jaggery (or cane jaggery or sugar), or as needed
- 6 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp haro elaichi (cardamom powder)
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 tbsp palm jaggery syrup
- Dry-roast the millet dalia on low heat until it becomes aromatic (about 2 minutes). Transfer to a plate and set aside to cool.
- Put the cooled millet dalia in a bowl and wash it once with water. Strain out this water and then add 2 cups of fresh water. Cover and let the millet soak for 6-8 hours.
- Once the millet has soaked for the required amount of time, start preparing the palm jaggery syrup. Keep a pan on low heat and put in the palm jaggery. Add 6 tbsp water. Stir the jaggery constantly and heat it until the palm jaggery dissolves completely. Remove from heat and set aside. You can use can jaggery or normal sugar instead of palm jaggery if you wish.
- Keep a pan on medium heat and pour in the water in which the millet dalia was soaked. Let the water come to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the soaked millet dalia. Stir it well and then cover the pan with a lid. Cook the millet dalia until the water dries out but the dalia remains moist (about 10 minutes). Keep checking the dalia in between.
- Add the palm jaggery syrup through a sieve to filter out any impurities. Mix well and add the cardamom powder. Stir-cook until the palm jaggery water dries out.
- Add the coconut milk and raise the heat to medium. Mix well and cook until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook the mixture for 2-3 minutes to reach the desired porridge consistency.
- Check for sweetness and add more palm jaggery syrup if needed. We added 1 tbsp more.
- Once the millet dalia is ready, transfer it to serving bowls and serve.