I like to cook and eat natural, healthy, and tasty foods, and I enjoy sharing recipes from my native Indian cuisine.
A Delicious and Delightful Appetizer!
Mixed vegetable Manchurian is one of my favorites. I like it mainly for its fantastic combination of assorted veggies and aromatic spices, including fried fresh ginger, garlic, and green chilies.
Though making this appetizer involves a lengthy procedure, trust me, it is worth the effort. You will undoubtedly get a mouthwatering and healthy snack that everyone will love. Serve it hot with tomato sauce on the side.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
For the vegetable balls:
- 1 1/4 cups cabbage, chopped
- 1/4 cup French beans, finely cut
- 1/4 cup carrot, finely cut
- 1/4 cup capsicum, cut lengthwise
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup corn flour
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper powder
- Salt, to taste
- Oil, for deep-frying
For the gravy:
- 2 green chillis, chopped
- 1 inch ginger, chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 8-10 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon soya sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons corn flour
- 1/6 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vinegar or lemon juice (optional)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- salt to taste
Step 1: Make the Vegetable Balls
- Chop the vegetables as directed.
- In a mixing bowl, add all the ingredients for making vegetable balls (except oil). Mix well.
- Make a medium-firm dough. Don't press it too much. If you feel like the dough is too loose, add some more all-purpose flour and adjust the consistency.
- Prepare small, lemon-sized balls out of the dough. Arrange them on a plate.
- Heat the oil for deep-frying. When the oil becomes medium hot, slowly drop a few vegetable balls into the oil.
- Turn them occasionally to ensure uniform frying. Fry the balls until they become crispy.
- Repeat the same process to fry all the vegetable balls. Set them aside.
Step 2: Make the Gravy
- Add cornflour to a bowl and mix in some water. The consistency should be thin and flowing. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in the chopped onion, green chili, garlic, and ginger. Saute until the onions become transparent.
- Add the soya sauce. Let the mixture boil for 30 seconds.
- Add in the fried vegetable balls.
- Add the cornflour mixture.
- Add the vinegar or lemon juice (optional) and salt. Be careful while adding the salt because the soya sauce and dough balls already contain salt.
- Adjust the heat to very low and mix thoroughly. Make sure the vegetable balls are evenly coated with the gravy.
- Add some chopped coriander. Remove the pan from the stove and gently mix it once.
- Transfer the mixture to a serving dish and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with tomato sauce on the side.
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on August 27, 2016:
Eggs are not used in this recipe. The balls contain corn flour and plain flour in it. Hence, fry the balls straight away in hot oil.
peachy from Home Sweet Home on August 21, 2016:
this recipe looks very easy to follow and I will definitely try this out for sure.
Do you need to dip the balls into beaten eggs or just coat with plain flour before deep frying?
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on August 21, 2016:
Very healthy and delicious appetizer. It is a great starter snack for parties.