I like to cook and eat natural, healthy, and tasty foods, and I enjoy sharing recipes from my native Indian cuisine.
A Quick, Healthy, and Delicious Side Dish
Garlic is called lasun in Hindi. It is a superfood that is highly nutritious but is low in calories. The active compounds in garlic can reduce blood pressure and cholesterol levels, and it has antibiotic properties. It can help combat many common ailments including indigestion, the common cold, etc.
Serve garlic chutney with rice, dosa, idli, paratha, chapati, roti, etc. It is a mouthwatering side dish that pairs well with all types of meals.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds, 1 teaspoon for the tempering and 1 teaspoon for grinding
- 1 teaspoon urad dal (white lentils)
- 1/4 cup medium garlic cloves, chopped
- 3/4 cup coconut, grated
- 2 dry red chilies, broken
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon tamarind pulp, or tamarind soaked in water for 20 minutes
- 1/2 teaspoon jaggery powder
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon hing powder
- Heat the ghee in a deep-bottomed pan. Add 1 teaspoon mustard seeds and let them crackle. Add urad dal. Saute until urad dal becomes golden brown.
- Add chopped garlic. Saute on medium-low heat until it becomes a bit crunchy. Add hing powder and mix well. Turn off the heat and transfer the mixture to a bowl. Set aside.
- In a mixer jar, add chopped tomatoes, broken dry red chilies, 1 teaspoon mustard seeds, and coconut gratings. Grind to get a smooth paste. Typically, you don't need to add water because the tomatoes add moisture. However, if necessary, you can add a very small amount water.
- Heat the same pan once again. Add tamarind pulp, 1 cup of water, jaggery, and turmeric powder. Allow the mixture to come to a boil. Simmer for 1 minute.
- Add ground paste and salt. Mix well. Let it cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic mixture. Continue to saute over low heat until the gravy becomes semi-solid and greasy (about 4 to 5 minutes).
- Turn off the heat and transfer the garlic chutney to a serving dish. Delicious, spicy, and aromatic multi-purpose garlic chutney is ready to serve!
- Serve the chutney as a side dish with paratha, vada-pav, masala dosa, cooked rice, fried rice, ghee rice, curd rice, etc. This garlic chutney has beneficial medicinal value and adds flavor to all types of meals.
- This chutney remains fresh for two days at room temperature. For more shelf life, store it in an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator.
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on November 06, 2020:
Thanks for your appreciating comment. Please try this recipe.
Kalpana Iyer from India on November 06, 2020:
Delicious! Thank you for sharing the recipe.