My name is Lakshmi, and I am a homemaker. I love cooking and experimenting with different recipes.
Mushroom biriyani is a simple and yummy recipe that even beginners can master. I'll show you how to make freshly ground masala paste, which will give the dish a unique aroma and taste.
I make this dish often, since it is one of my kids' favorite recipes. Moreover, mushrooms are rich in antioxidants, which makes this dish healthy for everyone in the family.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
3 to 4 servings
For the biriyani masala paste:
- 1 medium onion, cut into cubes
- 8 green chillies
- 20 cloves garlic
- 1 inch piece ginger
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 4 cloves
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 inch stick cinnamon
- 1 mace
- handful of mint leaves
For the mushroom biriyani:
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 big onions, chopped roughly
- 1 medium tomato
- 50 ml curd
- Handful of mint leaves
- 250 grams button mushroom, cleaned and sliced
- 1 cup (250 grams) rice
- salt, to taste
- 2 cups water
- Make the biriyani masala paste by grinding all of the biryani masala ingredients in a mixer. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a cooker. Add the chopped onions and saute till they become soft and golden. Add the grounded biriyani masala paste and saute till the raw smell of the masala disappears.
- Add the tomato and fry till it becomes mushy. Add curd and saute for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and mix. Add the rice, water, salt, and bring it to a boil. Add the mint leaves and close the lid.
- Cook for 4 whistles then turn off the heat. Wait till the pressure releases completely, then open the lid.
- Serve the delicious homestyle mushroom biriyani along with raita.
Lakshmi (author) from Chennai on August 24, 2020:
Hi amrutha,Thank you,very glad to hear that you liked it.Do try it,it will taste good for sure.
Amy on August 24, 2020:
Hi Lakshmi! I love biriyani but I have never tried a mushroom biriyani. Would like to try it someday and the recipe sounds interesting.