Oats Cheela Recipe: A North Indian Oat Pancake
What Is Oats Cheela?
Oats cheela is a North Indian pancake that is prepared with rolled oats, veggies, and spices. Healthy and filling, this recipe is quick and easy to prepare.
You can use any vegetable of your choice in this recipe to customize it to your liking. Serve the pancakes with mint chutney and tea for a delicious breakfast or evening snack.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup besan (gram flour/chickpea flour)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons carrots, peeled and grated
- 2 tablespoons hara dhania (cilantro), chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon/to taste salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Water, as needed
- In a large bowl, add the oats, besan, veggies and spices. Mix well. Then add the water and prepare a thick, flowing batter. Rest the batter for 5 minutes.
- Brush a little oil on a non-stick pan and let it heat up over medium heat.
- Stir the batter and pour a ladleful on the pan and spread it evenly in a round shape. Spread a little oil over the batter and also around it. Keep the heat on low, and cover with a lid. Let cook for 4-5 minutes until the underside is cooked a little.
- Flip the cheela and cook the other side, uncovered, for 2-3 minutes on low-medium heat.
- Repeatedly flip the cheela and cook until crisp and golden on both sides.
- Transfer the cooked cheela to a plate and cook the rest of the batter similarly. Serve with mint chutney or any chutney of your choice.
© 2020 Rajan Singh Jolly