Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home without using preservatives and artificial colors.
Vegetable Khichdi: A Wholesome One-Pot Meal
This morning, I was stressed because I needed to think of a dish that I could make easily, serve for breakfast, and pack well in a lunch box. The variety of veggies lying around my kitchen reminded me of vegetable khichdi. Many traditional Indian dishes involve khichdi, which is a dish that includes rice, lentils, and vegetables. It makes a delicious meal that everyone in the household will enjoy, and I was happy to remember this recipe for breakfast.
You should eat this khichdi hot with a teaspoon of ghee on top. A yogurt-based salad or raita on the side is a truly wonderful compliment as well. I hope you will have a heavenly experience with this awesome breakfast. Now, let me share the recipe with you.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 1 bowl small grain rice (I used Sona Masoori rice)
- 1/2 bowl red lentils (masoor dal)
- 1/2 bowl de-husked mung dal (moong dal)
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 cup capsicum, diced
- 1/4 cup carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup potatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup French beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup spinach leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic-green chili paste (use 1/2 inch ginger, 4 garlic cloves, and 1 green chili)
- 3/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ghee
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- whole garam masala spices (1 inch cinnamon, 4–5 cloves, and 2 bay leaves)
- Wash the rice and the lentils in water. Add some fresh water and set aside.
- Heat a pressure cooker and add oil and ghee to it. Throw in mustard seeds and cumin seeds and let them crackle.
- Add the whole garam masala spices and sauté over very low fire for 10 seconds. Add the chopped onions and ginger-garlic-green chili paste.
- Sauté over low fire until you get the roasted aroma of ginger and garlic.
- Add all of the chopped vegetables, reserving some chopped coriander leaves for garnishing. Add salt.
- Sauté the contents for 2 minutes. Add the red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, and garam masala powder. Mix well and stir cook for a minute.
- Add the soaked rice-lentil mix and cook for 2 minutes, stirring at intervals. Add 6 glasses of water. Keep the mixture a little too thin so that this lentil dish will get the proper consistency after cooking. This will also avoid the burning of khichdi in the bottom. Add the lemon juice and some salt.
- Check the taste. If necessary, add some more salt. Boil for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cover the cooker with the lid and place the weight. Cook for up to 4 whistles and simmer for 2 minutes, then turn off the stove.
- Once the pressure releases naturally, remove the lid and mix once. Your spicy vegetable khichdi is ready!
- Serve it hot with a spoonful of ghee on top. A yogurt or raita side dish goes well with this spicy meal. Enjoy!
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on September 24, 2017:
Thanks Cathy. Yeah.. it is delicious. It is also a nutritious, and wholesome dish made of rice, lentils, and spices. Making it in a single pot saves time. Try it once.
Cathy Hague from Terrace on September 24, 2017:
That looks delicious!