Shwetha Bhat is passionate about food and cooking. She loves to experiment in the kitchen and share her recipes.
Easy and Tasty Gravy
Palak (spinach) and mushroom gravy is a tasty and healthy dish. Spinach is a rich source of vitamins and minerals that may be helpful in reducing high blood sugar and high blood pressure. Mushrooms are a rich source of fiber, protein and antioxidants.
Pair this gravy with paratha, roti, chapati, naan, phulka or rice.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 5 cups water, or as needed
- 2 cups palak (spinach), use leaves and tender stems
- 2 cups cold water, or as needed
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2-inch cinnamon stick
- 2-3 cardamom pods
- 2-3 cloves
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup tomato, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon, turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 200 grams mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup peas, fresh or frozen
- salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves), crushed
- 4 tablespoons fresh cream
- Roughly chop the mushrooms. Chop the onion and tomatoes. Wash and keep peas ready.
- Boil water in a vessel. Add tender palak leaves and stems, close the lid and cook for 2 minutes or till palak leaves have reduced. Switch off the flame.
- In a vessel, take 2 cups of cold water, add blanched palak and mix.
- Transfer the palak leaves to a mixer jar and grind to fine puree. Set aside.
- In a frying pan, heat the oil and ghee. Splutter the cumin seeds and then add cinnamon, cloves and cardamom. Saute for a few seconds.
- Add chopped onion and fry till translucent.
- Add chopped tomato and saute till it shrinks down. Close the lid and cook over low flame for 2 minutes.
- After the tomatoes are cooked, open the lid and add turmeric powder, red chili powder and coriander powder. Saute and combine well.
- Add palak puree and a little water. Mix well.
- Add chopped mushrooms and peas. Add salt to taste and mix well.
- Add water and mix well. Close the lid and cook over medium flame for 10 minutes.
- Check mushrooms to see if they are cooked well. Add garam masala powder and adjust salt if required. Add crushed kasuri methi and mix well.
- Add water if required to adjust the consistency. Add fresh cream and mix well. Let it comes to a boil and then switch off the flame.
- Serve hot with roti, chapati, naan, phulka or rice. Enjoy.
Step-by-Step Photo Guide
Read More From Delishably
- Mushrooms: Always check the quality of the mushrooms to make sure they're not beginning to go bad.
- Peas: Adding peas to this dish is optional.
- Palak leaves: Use young and tender palak leaves and stems.
- Blanching: Adding blanched leaves in cold water before making the puree will help to retain the green color of the palak puree.
- Spices: Increase or decrease the quantity of spice powders as per your taste.