Rajan writes to share his knowledge of health, yoga, pranayama, alternative therapies, natural remedies, food recipes, and more.
Palak paneer is a traditional North Indian dish of paneer, or cottage cheese, cooked in a gravy of a pureed fresh spinach leaves and seasoned with various spices. This dish is a popular item to order in restaurants, as well as from roadside dhabas (casual eateries).
It is easy to make this recipe vegan by substituting vegetable oil for clarified butter, tofu for paneer, and either coconut cream or cashew cream for milk cream. You can also simply skip the cream entirely.
This dish makes a great standalone meal—or it could be served as a side dish with naan, roti, or paratha.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
3 to 4 servings
- 2 tbsp desi ghee (clarified butter)
- 500 grams boiled and pureed palak (spinach leaves)
- 2 pureed tomatoes
- 2 onions, pureed
- 1 bulb garlic, cloves peeled and pureed
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 100 grams fresh paneer (cottage cheese)
- 1 tsp kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves)
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp malai (fresh milk cream) (optional)
- In a kadahi (wok), heat the ghee on medium heat until it melts. Then add the onion-garlic puree.
- Stir for about 1 minute; then add the kasuri methi. Stir and add the grated ginger.
- Cook the mixture till the water dries up and the mixture turns a little brown.
- Add the tomato puree. Then add the salt, red chilli powder, garam masala and coriander powder. Cook the puree for 4-5 minutes until it thickens and becomes roasted.
- Add in the pureed palak. Keep the heat on medium and stir well; then partially cover with a lid.
- When the liquid almost dries up, reduce the heat to low and add the paneer. Stir-cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve with roti, naan, or paratha.
Palak Paneer Recipe (Cottage Cheese in Spinach Gravy)
© 2020 Rajan Singh Jolly
Rajan Singh Jolly (author) from From Mumbai, presently in Jalandhar, INDIA. on July 05, 2020:
Glad you like the dish, Peggy. Thanks for the visit.
Peggy Woods from Houston, Texas on July 04, 2020:
Your recipe combines tasty ingredients as well as healthful ones. Thanks!
Rajan Singh Jolly (author) from From Mumbai, presently in Jalandhar, INDIA. on May 11, 2020:
It is worth a try, Marlene. Thank you.
Marlene Bertrand from USA on May 11, 2020:
You have the most amazing recipes. This one with spinach and cottage cheese is a combination I would not normally consider, but it looks like something I would enjoy.
Rajan Singh Jolly (author) from From Mumbai, presently in Jalandhar, INDIA. on April 21, 2020:
Thank you, Devika.
Devika Primić from Dubrovnik, Croatia on April 21, 2020:
Hi Rajan I like your recipes great ideas and worth a try.