Rajan loves cooking dishes from his native Indian cuisine. He enjoys sharing his favourite recipes with his online readers.
Rice pulao is a popular main rice dish from the Indian subcontinent. It can be prepared with one's choice of vegetables or meat. Palak pulao features spinach as the main vegetable, and it is accompanied by green peas and mushrooms.
This is an easy-to-make, delicious, and healthy dish. You can have it with any raita, dahi (yoghurt), or just pickle. Do try it and share your experience.
Read More From Delishably
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 1 1/4 cups basmati rice, soaked in water for 30 minutes and drained
- 2 1/2 cups water, for cooking the rice
- 1 bunch / 250 grams palak (spinach), washed and sliced
- 2 green chillies (optional)
- 7-8 garlic cloves
- 1 inch ginger
- 1/4 cup water, to make the spinach puree
- 3-4 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp jeera (cumin seeds)
- 4 lavang (cloves)
- 1 moti elaichi (black cardamom), crushed
- 1 inch dalchini (cinnamon stick)
- 2 hari elaichi (green cardamom), crushed
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 cup green peas
- 200 grams button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- In a grinder jar, add the sliced palak, ginger, garlic cloves and green chillies. Add 1/4 cup water and grind to a fine puree. Set aside.
- Set a kadahi (wok) on medium heat, add oil, and let it heat up. Add the jeera, black cardamom, green cardamom, and cinnamon. Saute until the jeera crackles.
- Add the sliced onion and saute until it becomes light pink.
- Add the palak puree and cook until the water dries up and the oil starts to leave the masala. Lower the heat as the water reduces.
- Add the green peas and sliced mushrooms. You can use your choice of veggies. Saute for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the salt and garam masala. Mix well and add in the soaked rice. Stir the rice well.
- Add 2 1/2 cups water, raise the heat to high, and let the water come to a boil.
- Cover the wok with a lid and reduce the heat to low. Cook until the water dries up and the rice is cooked. Check the rice a couple of times in between. Our rice took 15-16 minutes to cook.
- Remove from heat and cover with a lid. Let it rest for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve the palak pulao with raita, plain yoghurt, or just pickle.
Palak (Spinach) Pulao Recipe
© 2021 Rajan Singh Jolly