Supriya is a homemaker who is passionate about cooking. She loves to share her recipes with the world.
Tandoori Chicken Without the Tandoor
Tandoori chicken originated on the Indian subcontinent and has since become popular all over the world. It is made by marinating chicken in yogurt and spices and then roasting it in a tandoor (a cylindrical clay oven). In this recipe, however, we will prepare the dish on the stovetop.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 250 grams chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon Greek yogurt (thick curd)
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon tandoori chicken masala
- 1/4 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- Salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice, or to taste
- 40 grams butter, for roasting
- Wash the chicken pieces and make a few deep slits in each piece. Place the chicken in a large shallow bowl (make sure to remove the skin from the chicken).
- In a large bowl, add the chicken, Greek yogurt, ginger-garlic paste, salt, turmeric, red chilli powder, tandoori chicken masala (if you don’t have chicken masala, add cumin powder and coriander powder instead) and garam masala powder.
- Mix well. Taste and add salt and chillies if needed.
- Cover and keep it in the refrigerator for 40 minutes to marinate.
- After the chicken has marinated, place a pan on the stovetop and add butter. When the butter starts melting, add the marinated chicken and stir occasionally over medium heat.
- Cover the pan with lid and roast until it starts getting juicy and changes its colour. Remove from heat.
- Just before serving, add the lemon juice.
© 2020 Supriyasharma
Liza from USA on July 12, 2020:
My husband loves tandoori chicken. Perhaps I can try this recipe and making it at home. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Ankesh Singh from Kuala Lumpur on July 11, 2020:
Amazing alternative to cook Tandoori chicken.. Thanks!
Supriyasharma (author) from Malaysia on July 11, 2020:
Thanku.....@ Danny for your comment.
Danny from India on July 09, 2020:
A different perspective on Tandoori chicken. Nice presented Supriya.