Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make simple, nutritious, and tasty foods at home.
Healthy and Delicious Breakfast
This paneer and wheat flour breakfast recipe is steam-cooked and shallow-fried, which means it contains less oil than similar recipes. The main ingredients in this dish—paneer, wheat flour, onions, tomatoes, spices, and herbs—are all very healthy and nutrient-dense, especially in terms of protein, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
Once cooked, cut it into bite-sized pieces. Serve paneer and wheat flour stuffed dumplings for breakfast or brunch.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
For the dough:
- 2 1/2 cups wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon oil or ghee
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the filling:
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 inch ginger, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup coriander leaf, finely chopped
- 1 cup paneer, crushed or grated
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 3 or 4 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons oil, for shallow-frying each batch
Step 1: Make the Dough
- In a mixing bowl, add wheat flour, oil, and salt. Mix well.
- Adding water little by little, make a firm and pliable dough. Cover it and rest for 15 minutes.
Step 2: Make the Filling
- Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in the cumin seeds and allow them to crackle. Add chopped ginger and garlic. Saute for 20 seconds. Add chopped onions and saute until they become transparent.
- Throw in the chopped tomatoes, chopped coriander leaves, and some salt. Adding salt quickens the cooking process. Continue to saute until the tomatoes become soft and mushy.
- Add all the spices: red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, turmeric powder, and remaining salt. Saute the mixture over low heat for 30 seconds.
- Add mashed paneer. Mix it with the contents in the pan. Turn off the heat once the contents in the pan combine well. The filling is ready now. Allow it to cool.
Step 3: Assemble and Cook
- Divide the dough into many lemon-sized equal portions. Make a ball with each portion. While dusting, roll each of them into about a 6-inch diameter disc. Collect them on a plate.
- Place a disc on another plate. Thinly spread some tomato sauce on its surface. Spread some stuffing above it, as shown in the picture. Place another disc above it. Repeat the same procedure until you have 3 or 4 stacked discs.
- Fold one set of the opposite edges towards the center and place one above the other.
- Similarly, make more such things with the remaining dough, tomato sauce, and filling.
- Steam-cook for 20 minutes while keeping them one near the other without touching one another. Once done, turn off the heat and open the lid of the steamer. Allow it to cool for some time.
- Gently, take each of them out and place them on a plate. Heat a griddle or pan for shallow frying each of them. You can shallow-fry them together by placing them one near the other on the pan.
- Add some oil on the surface and the edges. Shallow-fry them on both sides until they become golden brown and crunchy on all the sides.
- Remove them on a plate. Chop them horizontally and make 1-inch length pieces. Serve them hot with red chutney or any other hot sauce. Enjoy this unique healthy breakfast!
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on August 05, 2021:
Thanks, MG Singh for reading the recipe. Please make this dish and enjoy eating!
MG Singh from UAE on August 05, 2021:
Shaila, that's a nice recipe. I have tried something similar but I will try the one with your recipe here.