Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home.
Quick, Easy, Healthy, and Delicious!
I like to make millet pancakes often because they are natural, healthy, and fun to eat. I used pearl millet, some wheat flour, garlic cloves, paneer, tomatoes, green chilies, and curd in this recipe. This recipe is for stuffed pancakes, but they can be tasty by themselves as well. Any yogurt or thick curd raita on the side can make these rotis more delightful. You can also pack them for a picnic, school snack, or wonderful office lunch.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 1 cup pearl millet flour or bajra flour, for the dough
- 1/2 cup wheat flour, for the dough
- 1 cup fenugreek leaves, for the dough
- 3 garlic cloves, for the dough
- 1 (1/2) tsp oil, for the dough
- 1/4 tsp or less salt, for the dough
- 1/2 cup paneer, grated, for the stuffing
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, finely chopped, for the stuffing
- 1 tbsp yogurt or thick curd, for the dough
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped, for the stuffing
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped, for the stuffing
- 1/4 tsp or less salt, for the stuffing
- 2 pinches turmeric powder, for the stuffing
I've broken the instructions into three sections for your convenience. Once you prepare the dough and the stuffing, you'll have everything you need to make these delicious stuffed pancakes.
How to Make the Dough
- Wash the fenugreek (methi) leaves in water, then strain them and put them in a mixer-grinder. Add the garlic cloves and a little salt. Just crush them, don't pulverize them.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the pearl millet flour, wheat flour, ground fenugreek leaf mix, oil, salt, and yogurt or curd.
- Mix it all together, adding very little water to get a smooth and firm dough. Keep it covered with an inverted vessel or a damp cloth.
How to Make the Stuffing
- In another bowl, add the grated paneer, finely chopped tomatoes, finely chopped coriander leaves, chopped green chilies, turmeric powder, and salt.
- Gently mix them. This is the stuffing for the pancakes.
How to Make the Pancakes
- Divide the dough into five or six equal portions, and shape each one like a ball.
- Divide the stuffing into six equal portions.
- Dust a dough ball with wheat flour, then press it to make a patty. Roll it into a 6-inch diameter disc.
- Take a portion of the stuffing and spread it uniformly on half of the disc. Refer to the picture below for guidance. Fold the plain half onto the half with stuffing. Cut it in the middle to make a quarter piece.
- Heat a pan and place the pancake pieces on it. Pour few drops of oil or ghee on tops. Let the bottom sides cook a bit then flip them. Add a few drops of oil on the other side, too. Moderately roast both sides until they are golden.
- Remove the pancake pieces and place them on a serving plate. Repeat this process for all the dough balls and the stuffing.
- Serve the pancakes hot with onion-yogurt raita on the side. You can also serve them with pickles. Happy eating!
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on August 28, 2017:
Thanks. You will surely love the natural aroma of pearl millet and fenugreek leaves in this pancake. Paneer stuffing makes it more delicious. Give it a try!
Louise Powles from Norfolk, England on August 28, 2017:
That looks lovely Shaila, and easy to make too. I'll definitely consider giving this a go!